Simple "save to desktop" question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

I like to have all applications save files that I download to the Desktop by default. I've found the preferences and changed the settings to do that. Now every time I download something it saves it to the upper right hand corner of the desktop. I usually have my AIM buddy list open so it hides behind that. Is there any way of changing the location on the desktop where it saves to?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I don't know a direct answer to your question, but I also save temporary stuff to the Desktop and have devised a simple trick to help me get at it and keep it organized:

Go to your user folder and make an alias of the Desktop folder. Put this alias on the Desktop. Now, anything you save to your Desktop will appear in this folder. Double-click on it, and voila. You can look at its contents any number of ways, including sortable columns and CoverFlow.

I also hope you've discovered Spaces. It's really nice for shoving your current work aside so you can get at the desktop.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

move the Aim icon elsewhere on your desktop and leave that area open ... and do not click clean up or arrange icons on your desktop

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want any folders on my desktop. I keep everything in the dock and in stacks to keep it looking really clean and organized. I just save to desktop so it's easy to find the files and move them to the appropriate folder or location. Just wish it could save by default to the left side of the desktop or something rather than the upper right corner.

5. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be the simple solution but after 10 years of having my AIM buddy list on the right side of the screen I just can't help but want to keep it there. If there is no way of achieving what I'm trying to do then I guess I'll have to move it over to the left side and try to get accustomed to that.

Why not to click clean up or arrange icons on desktop? I don't keep anything on the desktop anyways but I'm just curious.

6. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

You might also consider having a stack in your Dock for your desktop. That way, you can always access to those files, whether you can see them or not.

7. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Did more research and it appears it just isn't possible. Oh well looks like I'll have to keep my buddy list minimized or move it to the left side of the screen and just get used to it.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You could put an alias to the Desktop folder in the dock. I just tried it, works brilliantly.

9. Golfwolf macrumors member

Golfwolf

Great tip, thanks for the info.

10. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't get it. Wouldn't that still keep things on the actual desktop? I don't want any folders or files on the actual desktop.

11. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

If you do not wish to move your AIM buddy and still be able to view the items saved on the desktop Spaces is the best bet else you will have to create a folder or an alias as suggested

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I'm coming in late here, but... I would expect the new download to take the next available spot if something already occupies the upper right corner. That's the default location for the hard drive icon. Isn't that showing on your Desktop? (Why would you not have it showing?) I've never seen a new item added to the Desktop behind something else.

13. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have anything showing on my desktop. I like it clean and empty with everything in their appropriate folders. I have the Macintosh HD hidden as well.

14. BlackViper macrumors member

Expose

I have one of my screen corners set to show the desktop; this may be a good solution for you. One simple motion (flick cursor to upper right) hides all open windows, allowing you to drag the new file wherever you want it.