Simple Solution to Copy/Cut/Paste

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowLeopard2008, Dec 25, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've heard many people moan and groan about copy/paste and also cut as well. I was just in the shower and I was thinking how to solve this problem. Well for those of you that hope for this feature, here is my simple solution. But before that, let me tell you about Magic Pad. Magic Pad is an app on the App Store that costs $1.99. It boasts the copy/cut/paste functions. How does it accomplish it? You double tap to select text. Remember how you can use the magnifier to move the cursor to a different spot? Same stuff, but you double tap instead and it will highlight the text, you then tap on the little gears icon and move the finger (don't lift the finger just yet) to the left icon for copy, the middle for cut and the right icon for paste. Here is how I would incorporate it universally throughout the entire device, whether it be an iPod or iPhone.

1. Double tap + drag finger across text or image (Safari, etc) to highlight text.

2. Press the volume increase button once for copy, twice for paste, and the volume decrease button once to paste. It can also be another button, such as the sleep/power button, home button, mute button (iPhones only though), etc. Heck, even combinations of buttons would work. Sorta.

Since Apple added "pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen" feature in firmware version 2.2, I'm confident that my solution will take little, if any effort. They could just re-use that bit of code and modify it a little bit. If you have any other solutions or comments or suggestions, just post below. Again, I thought of this in my 5 minute shower. It's an elegant solution and builds upon what they have already done with the Home button. It's not too complex and amazingly simple. Happy Holidays everyone!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm going to pretend to be Apple.

Hey, thanks but no thanks.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Oh c'mon. Are you saying it's a bad idea? :rolleyes:

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I got a simpler solution.

Get a piece of paper, write it down.

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Being a programmer and dealing with lots of little bits of code, this is not a practical solution. :D

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes. Because it's a lot more involved then that.

And incorporating the volume button... see, this is what Apple AVOIDS. They want ease of use, not confusion.

Try teaching someone who just got the iPhone how to copy / paste. Oh well let's see, first pick up the phone, find something you want to copy, and now carefully put your index finger on one part and drag with your middle finger the text you want and then don't let go somehow touch the UP volume button (not down because the down button is self destruct) and then touch the up button again so it's confirmed and then go to where you want the pasted item and then hit the down ringer button twice (if you hit it once it turns the volume down!) oh, (make sure you don't hit up, that is now self destruct) and then some how put 3 fingers on the screen to confirm copy paste.

OH, and while you're at it Apple, enable background processes so the iPhone saves what you copy.

OH AND ANOTHER THING, Apple, change the way Safari and Mail render pages so that the text is actually selectable.

OH AND ONE LAST THING, Make sure it's not buggy. I want it to be perfect.

I rest my case.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You program on your iphone??

Anyway, Being a programmer I'm sure you realize this would have to be built into the actual OS and not just an app because it needs to work app to app.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

he programs HTML =).

9. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They don't have to use two fingers. One is fine. Just double tap and select. And you could apply the concept to other buttons like the Home or Sleep buttons.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So why hasn't Apple done this?

11. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't. Someone said that you should write stuff down. I'm saying that's not practical. Nvm the programming bit. Copy/Paste could be a framework, into the actual OS itself. I know some ppl will say that developers will have to redesign their apps, but it could just be a feature in the integrated apps by default, backed by a framework that developers could tap into should they need to.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats a problem, no one is given access to those buttons.

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, why would Apps need copy / paste? Over 95% of them wouldn't need it.

Safari, Mail, and SMS are the ones that really only need it. Maybe notes.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's all about psychology. After Apple made "more bars in more places" without actually improving signals, all the complaints have dissipate.

So if they didn't add these simple functions, the general public won't be asking for more functions. They'll just be stuck bitching about these basic ones, such as MMS and copy & paste.

We might see copy & paste and MMS after Apple figures out what people might bitch about down the road.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The thing about MMS and generally all complaints people have is apple usually has a solution that they want you to use. Instead of MMS they push email, things like no blu-ray they push downloads/time machine for backups, the only thing taht doesnt have a reasonable alternative is copy and paste. We will see it at some point, for those who need it for some reason.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

To be honest, the only people who complain are people that read sites like this, and the ones that had it on their old phone and used it a lot.

I had it on my old phone, and never used it..

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well I dont even have a cell phone, but I've never had a need to use it on my touch, i just realize that some people kinda sorta need it once in a while.

18. Acronym macrumors 68000

as you may know there are some copy/paste applications out there on the appstore apple knows it can be done as shown by other app developers why cant they impliment it for the whole iphone?

coding can be hard and what not but still you would think that millions of complaints would tell apple something.

as for the op's idea double tap is a good idea and rather then using the volume buttons they could impliment a hold and release idea much like saving pictures with a pull up menu with copy/cut/paste idea

eg: double tap to select text click and hold selected text for 2-3 seconds menu pops up with copy/cut/paste option then it would be stored on a clipboard go to notes click and hold on cursor menu pops up click paste.

simple idea easy to use.

19. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Like I said before, you have many ways to implement the copy/cut/paste feature. Double tapping to select is a great way to start. Your idea is actually a bit better, as it is much simpler. Less button combos to remember.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

21. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Double tap + drag finger is not. :rolleyes: Just like when you move the cursor from different areas in text, but with two taps instead of one.

22. Acronym macrumors 68000

well isnt that what apple is all about? simplicity?

apple is just to proud of them selves to get things done when they should be done imo.

23. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Double tap, but second one you hold, magnifier comes up and then you drag until you get to where you want to stop. When you lift your finger it says "Copy, Cut, Paste"

When you want to paste, you double-tap and hold again and don't move your finger for a second, same menu pops up.