Simple spec bump or complete redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamacbsh, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

If it was a complete redesign they would be having a whole event right?

I'm kinda hoping it's just a measly spec bump so I don't want it as much and feel good about buying a base 11" mba:p

2. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Not necessarily. When the iMac got its redesign, they didn't have a event for it.

I'm just hoping for a nice spec bump. I love the current design, so I if they don't change it, I'm cool with it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not necessarily, but nobody knows for sure. Changing materials to liquid metal- the leading favorite rumor- likely wouldn't involve a change in the unibody design anyways.

4. ktang macrumors member

No point in guessing and speculating now, according to the rumors it will be here next week. If we don't see leak pictures of it by then we would see the release of it. Only couple more days, I'm waiting for it too.

5. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

There could be, we really won't know until it is released

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I have already had 2 of the current unibody MBP's and personally hope they come up with something new. It doesn't need to be massively different but something to keep it fresh.:cool:

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

For the last 3 damn years... apple has been updating their mac products sometime in October for the holiday season.

In 2008, they redesigned MBP and Macbook in October

In 2009, they redesigned iMac in October.

In 2010, they redesigned MBA in October.

It's time to go back to MBP again. Apple will most likely update MBP twice this year.

8. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I doubt it will be a redesign. Just a spec bump

9. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Nooo they do a BIG update in early of the year (january - march/april)
    then they do a simple spec boost in october to say it's updated for buyers

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

so do you think i should wait for october?
    i have a MBP 13" now and its less than 3 months old. Im afraid at that point of time, my MBP wont be worth a lot as a second hand

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd just keep the machine for a couple of years. 3 months is really just too short to already be flipping your machine...

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think that Apple will be doing a redesign this time around. According the MR homepage, Cnet has reported Light Peak to be coming pretty soon. This is perfect timing for Apple to start using Light Peak in their MBP redesign. Light Peak could effectively replace several ports (with adapters of course for necessity) that are actually limiting the MBPs thinness. Light Peak would fit perfectly, as the ports are roughly USB thickness.

13. MultiBat macrumors member

MultiBat

Aha!
    I confess that I have seen all these hopes for Light Peak in these forums and though for my self: What the heck do people want LP for? Who has need for such a fast port?
    But it wasn't about the speed...

You explained it! Now I agree! Away with those big connectors!
    Thanks axu539...

14. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I'm hoping for a redesign, at least internally.

I wonder if they might just take the new macbook air SSDs and put them in as boot drives for the new pros, ie 64gb SSD with a spinning drive for data.

15. aCondor macrumors 6502

It is obviously out of date. Sell it now before the price plummets and get a new one. Rinse, lather, and repeat every 2-3 months. :p

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Could be either ... they may not be holding an event because of Steve's health.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Maybe they'll take some cues from the MBA design. It'll probably be a spec bump mostly.

18. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

As they say the show must go on, they have others who can and have presented in the past.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Protocol agnostic.

this means that apple can fashion one (or two, or three) lp ports on the mbp and we can have a dock that incorporates every port under the sun (as long as it's no more than 10 Gbps worth of bandwidth).

20. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I think it will be a simple spec upgrade rather than a complete redesign. The redesign should come at the end of the year in my opinion.

21. presdaddy macrumors newbie

if it's a simple spec bump, I won't be buying. I keep my laptops for 4 years. What am I going to do with an optical disc drive for the next four years? And to have a design that's out of date for three of those years? No thanks.

22. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I am going to do the same. I don't care about Liquid Metal, I just want to see a change in design. I want one more USB port. Just because Apple redesigned in late 2008 doesn't mean they are going to do it in late 2011. We just don't know but so many reports have been saying that they will be changed. I know I am buying if they do. The optical drive is not a deal breaker for me. If they get rid of it, I will be buying a external one. I still need to use bootcamp.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, true. Those redesign threads make me laugh though, what's wrong with the current design?

The design before that came from the power book days and lasted 7 years. 7 YEARS(I think I've posted this info about 20 times now). From 2001 through 2008.

The unibody design is barely 3 years old, required brand new manufacturing facilities that need to be made use of for a while to be worth their while.

Apple is NOT redesigning the macbook pro for a few years to come still.

24. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Not quite. The pre-unibody aluminium chassis was introduced in 2003, not 2001.

Also, I do think the current design needs an overhaul at least. Ditch the ODD, shuffle the ports around a bit, maybe make it taper slightly like the MBA... Not a complete redesign, just tweaks.

25. presdaddy macrumors newbie