Simple Starting Help

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by oo7ml, Nov 6, 2014.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi,

A friend asked me today if i would introduce him to the App Development world, as he wants to make a move out of front end Web Development and start learning iOS development.

I said i'd put a few links, tutorials and resources together, however things have changed a lot (my old tutorials are outdated) since i started.

Can anyone recommend a could starting point for my friend, such as up to date tutorials or books?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Hi I'm currently following the bitfountain course. I find it superior to the Stanford iTunes course...

3. 1458279 Suspended

I like the BNR and YouTube because they are cheap/free.

Ray is great, but if you take the cheap/free route 1st, you get your feet wet and you'll be "less lost" when you start the other paid routes.

4. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks guys.

Does Ray start from the start with very little programming knowledge?

5. 1458279 Suspended

I can't say that Ray does. It's been a while since I dug deep into his work, but I don't remember it being for that.

I do remember Lynda.com and BNR (Big Nerd Ranch) being better for starters.

I think the start is probably the most important part, because confusion at the start can REALLY slow things down.

Also, last time I checked, Ray had versions for iOS 5, 6, and 7... I'd skip everything but the later versions... no need to study anything that old, it just ads confusion.

Once you get past the basics (and even before) you'll notice so many examples are OLD... always check the date.

Once you have a very good handle on the latest, going back and reading old examples are ok if you can't find a newer example.

What I mean by this is that calls, memory usage, etc have changed. If you grab a sample program from iOS5, you might find it confusing.
    Even Apple's examples have been pretty bad for this in the past.

6. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated.