Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markf11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I have a 500 gb external hard drive full of all kinds of things i need to keep ahold of

i have about 100 gb left free, i'd like to partition this so i can use the 100gb as a Time Capsule

My question is, when i start up Disk Utility and go to the option partition, i select 2, however it says nothing about keeping my data already on the external hard drive, how could i be sure to keep my data on their but still parition the drive

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I have a 500 gb external hard drive full of all kinds of things i need to keep ahold of

i have about 100 gb left free, i'd like to partition this so i can use the 100gb as a Time Capsule

My question is, when i start up Disk Utility and go to the option partition, i select 2, however it says nothing about keeping my data already on the external hard drive, how could i be sure to keep my data on their but still parition the drive

I would doubt 100gb is enoungh for time machine. On the first backup it also backs up your system likely over 32 GB itself. I'd suggest a seperate external drive for time-machine (via the TC's USB port) of copy the files over if you want to use time- machine on the time capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.