Simple Time Machine Question

Amjad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Well, I have a confusion about Time Machine. ( I am new to computers especially Mac OS X ). I will buy a new Macbook pretty soon... So, my confusion about Time Machine is that, can I backup all of my data in same built-in hard drive in different partition ( If different partiation is created only for TM backups) or it must be separate external hard drive? Thats my questions....:confused:

LMO

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Time machine will work with any non-bootable volume. Even though it will work, it doesn't really make sense to share a drive that way since you will effectively have no backup at all.

An external drive is the way to go.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Time machine will work with any non-bootable volume. Even though it will work, it doesn't really make sense to share a drive that way since you will effectively have no backup at all.

Actually, according to Apple, it has to be a HFS+ formatted USB, Firewire, or Network drive.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007

But for a portable, isn't it useful to be able to go back a few days and restore a file you had deleted by accident? I know having your internal drive split for time machine is not an ideal backup solution (if that drive ends up crashing), but what if we can't carry an external drive everywhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.