Simple to install Linux on an iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bingefeller, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hello guys,

I know that there's been loads of topics about this but...... I'm looking for a very easy to install Linux on my old iBook G4 and I would like it to support my Airport card without having to do much configuring. Is there any Linux out there that would be suitable for me? I'd like for it to run fairly fast as my G4 is only 256mb RAM.

I do remember looking into this before but, at that time, the only useable Linuxs didn't have immediate support for the Airport card and you needed to download these drivers and install them from the command line interface and it was very confusing...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

As far as I know there is no clean / easy way to install Linux, even on a macbook. Opening up the terminal and doing some manual re-adjustments is still needed, if I understand correctly.
    If you find installing drivers confusing, all I can say is good luck installing Linux!

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

:(

Well, the instructions for making the Airport card work with this particular Linux was confusing. Shame I can't remember what distro it was......

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Ubuntu is pretty darn compatible. The wireless worked on my Macbook Pro right away.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If you're looking for an easy to install Linux, Ubuntu would be your best bet. Though it's not the best one. I'd recommend RedHat or else SUSE.