Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What is your favorite simple track/map my walk app? Is there an Apple one that automatically does it?

So far I like the Under Armour one. I tried the WorkOutDoors app and it seems great but almost too convoluted with too many options.

Recommendations please.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Will it show on a map?
Apple said:

View your route​

1. On your iPhone, open the Fitness app.
  2. Tap Show More next to Workouts.
  3. Tap the workout that you want to view, then scroll down.
  4. Tap the map. The colors show your pace, with green the fastest pace and red, the slowest.
ios-16-iphone-13-pro-fitness-activity-summary-workouts-run-route.png

To see the route, you must have an Apple Watch Series 2 or later or have your iPhone with you during the workout. You must also turn on route tracking: On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Apple said:

Get reminders to start a workout​

watchos-9-series-7-detect-workout-notification.png

In watchOS 5 or later, when your Apple Watch senses that you’re working out, it taps you on the wrist and asks. Tap an option within the notification to record the workout, change the workout type, mute notifications for the day, or dismiss the notification. No matter when you tap, you’ll get all your workout credit from the time you started exercising.
spacer.png

How long it takes for your watch to alert you to record a workout varies by workout type. Here are the workouts that your watch can give you reminders for:
  • Indoor Walk
  • Outdoor Walk
  • Indoor Run
  • Outdoor Run
  • Outdoor Cycling
  • Elliptical
  • Rower
  • Pool Swim
  • Open Water Swim
To turn this setting on or off, open the Settings app on your Apple Watch, tap Workout, then go to Start Workout Reminder.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
What is your favorite simple track/map my walk app? Is there an Apple one that automatically does it?

So far I like the Under Armour one. I tried the WorkOutDoors app and it seems great but almost too convoluted with too many options.

Recommendations please.

when i first started to walk in earnest, i began to use a step counter called Activity Tracker.
it doesn't do a lot but it does a great job of graphically showing number of steps by day, week, month, and year.
it just re-arranges the data collected by the watch and apple's health app.
important for me is also it can graphically show flights data (3 m gain in elevation) as well.
but all this app does is really chart steps. and it does that well.

i have at least tried pretty much of all of the walking apps and didn't like they had way too many features that were of no interest to me, and constantly in my face to post results to leader boards, and to map my walks. i am very leery of giving mapped daily walk data to any 3rd party app for reasons of privacy. it seems to me to be very dangerous to do this. i especially didn't like Pacer (Pro) for this reason.

when i got my apple watch i slowly got into the 3 ring Activity app approach. and, began to use the great Workout App on the watch as well.
the work out app on the watch calculates splits for each Km walked. it also keeps continual track of heart rate, can notifiy you when you reach your peak heart rate, and it also gives a great heat map of your walk showing green and yellow/orange segments to indicate pace trend. best of all is that this map info stays on yr Watch/iPhone and doesn't need to go anywhere.

the Activity app does indicate daily steps. and the its weekly summary does indicate weekly steps.
the Health app on the iPhone gets better and better to indicate long term trend data as well. very useful.
but, the Workout app that you use to track your walk (even the Outdoor Walk workout details) does not indicate number of steps.
i think from an overall fitness perspective i agree with apple's Activity 3 ring approach and focusing on pace and distance rather than steps itself.
but, i just cant delete the Activity Tracker app because it does that function very well.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have Duffy on my watch that tracks all the steps.

I agree that the Apple Fitness app is really kind of what I want. It does a nice job showing the route on a map. The only thing that bugs me is the dark black background. I wish there was a way to make it light. Do you know if there is a way to change it to light?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The only thing that bugs me is the dark black background. I wish there was a way to make it light. Do you know if there is a way to change it to light?
Even though I prefer dark mode, it is unfortunate for others the Watch (and iOS Fitness app) don’t conform/match the ‘light’ mode preference. (Yes, I just tested switching.)

Reactions: Nhwhazup

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
interesting that there are some people here who dont prefer apps with black/dark backgrounds. include me in that.

for Activity Tracker, i even contacted the app developer who kindly did answer me back that for the main app on iOS he prefers to keep it black as he thinks the graphs "pop" better against the dark. the iOS widget does however change based on the system, but not the Watch app or the main iOS app itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: subzento

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
interesting that there are some people here who dont prefer apps with black/dark backgrounds. include me in that.

for Activity Tracker, i even contacted the app developer who kindly did answer me back that for the main app on iOS he prefers to keep it black as he thinks the graphs "pop" better against the dark. the iOS widget does however change based on the system, but not the Watch app or the main iOS app itself.
I don't like dark backgrounds when reading text, but the dark background in the Activity app has never bothered me. I kind of agree with that developer, that the graphs are easier to see on a dark background.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So I tried a number of apps and the winner for me is Runkeeper. It’s simple to use, does a great job with the mapping and ability to add photos if desired. Also allows for tracking to a monthly goal. Does everything well and is exactly what I have been looking for.

Reactions: MacCheetah3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.