Simple Txting Feature Lacking on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 2, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

The ability to mass txt people. Adding people one by one is a huge pain in the butt. Where can I submit this request? I saw a link to some sort of feedback page through Apple website but I can't find it through Google. :(

2. The General macrumors 601

You're joking, right? They added mass texting in 1.1.3.

[​IMG]

What more do you want? An "OMG TXT ALL CONTACTZ" button?

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

yeah, there is a Mass txting....lol, even in my 1st gen. iPhone, but is there a txting app that has a horizontal qwerty keyboard? i get tired of having the sideways one only in the Safari...

4. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this. What's lacking is the ability to mass add people to the list FAST. Currently you have to add them one by one either via the address book or typing in their name which is a huge PITA.

In my old Samsung phone, it allowed me to go down the address book and simply check the person's name then add them all together. With iPhone, this could be made possible by pulling up the contacts list with the + sign, then allowing us to simply "check" each person that we want to add then hitting "add" to add all of the checked people to the list. That would make it much faster/easier.

5. CharQuake macrumors member

I would like a omgz text all contacts button can someone send this request to apple?

6. The General macrumors 601

Definitely, here's the link:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I'll request it too. Now that I think about it, obviously listed "checking" is available in uikit or whatever, since we can do that in Mail, it shouldn't even be a bit deal for them to add what the OP described in his Samsung phone to the iPhone.

I'll request that too.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Thanks for the link. I just sent a request to Apple with the following:

"I find many features lacking in the SMS Text app on the iPhone.

Mainly I find error in the lack of 4 specific functions: Individual timestamp, individual delete, individual save, and forwarding. These features can all be implemented in a simple enough fashion. My humble suggestion would be allowing you to touch a specific message, which highlights it and fades the rest of the screen. At this point it would display the time of this specific message and allow functionality to delete, save to separate folder, or forward.

Additionally, a useful feature would be subdividing your conversations into specific 'sessions'. Lumping all conversations with a single person into one long list can be burdensome. This way we could separate different conversations and different topics. I could see a few different ways this could be implemented. Perhaps you could devise a way to divide already existing conversations into different sessions. Perhaps you could allow the user to choose when to end a specific session. Perhaps if a message is sent a certain length of time apart from any other message (for example maybe 2 hours), then the user could be asked if they would like to continue on this session or begin a new session. (Also, perhaps this feature could be turned on or off, because some people wouldn't want to be bothered with being asked that question every time they get a new text)

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns! I love doing business with Apple and I plan on continuing to do so in the future. Please let me know if any of these features are feasible or on the "to do" list. Or if Apple is sufficiently satisfied with the SMS Text app and plans on making no changes in the near future."

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ does the iPhone have a horizontal keyboard on it for the SMS icon?!

9. nickpro macrumors regular

kudos, these are simple features that should have been included since day 1

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

err.. assuming I'm understanding your question correctly, no the keyboard can not go into landscape mode while sending text messages. Was that what you were asking?

Honestly that doesn't bother me much at all. I've gotten so used to portrait mode that I think I actually like it better that way. I also like it because I can only use one hand.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

yes thats what im asking, and that sucks, i actually WANT to use two hands for that...it just seems more..well stable, anyways right now whenever i txt i always put my left hand over the apple logo on the back, with my index finger around/on the camera for more steadyness(i ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to drop this piece of magicness)

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Haha. Yeah, I know what you're saying. But two handed texting does work in portrait mode too. Actually it's simpler than you think. People's biggest problem is they stop when they make mistakes... Just go and the iphone corrects about 90% of your mistakes!

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

yeah but when i type something wrong, theres a lil window thingy under my word that says the complete word, and a x on the side of it, i always seem to picky abt that window thing, and i tap it, and it closes out, so it really doesnt correct me..: D lol, im picky but, its fine, ill get used to it, i just got my iPhone like 3 days ago :D

14. The General macrumors 601

You don't tap it to change the word, tapping it is saying "no, that correction is incorrect, I typed the word correctly" ... you're supposed to just keep typing and the correction will be made automatically.

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Haha, Yea I did the same thing when I first got mine. "Oh I see am I supposed to select this word if I want to use it??" NO!!! haha.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol, its like this amazing device is provoking me..."here you want me to correct this word for you?! ok just tapp right here. WRONGGG!!! HAHAHAH I LIED!!! Stupid humans...."

17. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I use this feature a lot on my Treo.

type "Il" for "I'll"
    type "Wel" for We'll"
    type "Shel" for "She'll"

etc.

Really works.

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol i already do that, its IM language...ma dudes understand what im tryna type n crap...but if it corrects they also know i dont type THAT good, so they dont really care, as long as they understand it. so, yeah

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

How is that a feature? Unless you're saying it'll autocorrect on the iphone. Which would be a completely FALSE statement.

Side note: Typing the words we're or we'll or she'll or words like that are annoying because you type "were" which also happens to be a word so no autocorrection!! "we're" is really the only one that has come up a couple times.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

just type we re im sure the other person will sound it out loud in there head, i know i do, n so do all ma peeps, so when they sound it out loud, theyll know what it means, you dont have to be perfect...no1's perfect!

21. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

When you get the suggested word; if it is correct; you can type a space, punctuation mark, or the return key to accept it.

If you reject the suggested word by tapping the x you are teaching the phone to not use it's suggestion when you type that word.

22. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's true - as soon as you see the correct suggestion just hit the space and it completes it

23. Adrian3300 macrumors member

I also thought I wanted a horizontal keyboard but after using it the way it is I think I prefer it now. And like others have said, it's easier for one handed typing.

24. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If IM or email adoption was higher, we wouldn't need SMS so much, no?
    Both IM and email can do attachments, with email doing forwarding.

A decent IM gateway could sort this in part.