simple unix commands missing after 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by citivolus, Jul 22, 2009.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded to 3.0 and JB'd via redsn0w. when I ssh into my 3g, I no longer have simple commands like 'vi', 'ps', and so on. what gives?

2. roguepacket macrumors newbie

I have the same.. Also ping, telnet doesnt work..used to be fine on 2.2.1...I'd like to know how we can fix this? There must be a way of importing these basic cmds and registering it with the os somehow?

3. roguepacket macrumors newbie

4. calvy macrumors 65816

I can't answer about all of those commands, but for vi, I didn't think it was ever available without installing VIM from cydia. I'd bet those other commands are part of a package of some kind.

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

You can get ps along with finger, fingerd, last, lsvfs, and md commands by installing 'adv-cmds' via Cydia.

And yeah, as calvy said the closest to vi, is vim, which I always used anyways so I'm happy there.

6. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Here are some of my installed packages. I don't know what was installed during jailbreak or what I installed later. ps, ping (which works for me), telnet, and the other things you're asking about are in these packages.

BigBoss Recommended Tools (I think this may install a lot of the rest of these), core utilities, core utilities (/bin) (I need to look into why I have both of those), inetutils, network-cmds, shell-cmds, system-cmds, basic-cmds, adv-cmds. Searching Cydia for cmds should bring all those last few up.

I also have top, unrar, unzip, wget, whois, sed, gzip, grep, bzip2 listed as separate packages, but I only remember installing half of them, so some must have came with the jailbreak.

7. globalist macrumors 6502a

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have MobileTerminal (i think that's what it's called) and "ping" is an unrecognized command... any ideas how to "add" it to the commands list?

8. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Install inetutils from Cydia.