Simple video viewer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteelCity, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SteelCity macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just got an iMac the other day, this is my first MAC so I am still learning.

The Quicktime Player that was included with my MAC doesn't work very well for me. When it loads into the browser there is no way to resize it so all you get are tiny movies on my nice big monitor. Also, it doesn't play WMV (it just downloads the file and shows it as a text file).

I'm used to WMP playing everything that I needed. Is there a simple movie player that I could use on the MAC?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Download the free QuickTime plug-ins Perian and Flip4Mac

Also, download the free player VLC

If those can't help you, you don't need to watch it! :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

WMV Won't play in Quicktime. Fip4mac will play them. (as Microsoft pulled Windows Media player for Mac)

Most other video file formats will play in Quicktime with the plugin (free and <1 min to download) mentioned above.

VLC is useful for flash, (and has other uses when creating video backup/archives, so you may consdier downloading.)

4. SteelCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I downloaded and installed both Perian and Flip4Mac. They work, I am able to view WMV files. The WMV files are downloading to my computer and playing in QT while all the other files are playing in QT imbedded in my browser, is that the way it should be? Also, when QT is playing in my browser it doesn't seem like I can resize the movie at all, I guess that's just the way it is with the free version?

EDIT: I noticed that Perian is on my desktop and also listed under devices in FInder, it gives an option to eject it. Is this normal? Can I get rid of that or does it need to stay?

Thanks again for the help!

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

the Perian on your desk top is the disk image that the installer comes on, so you can eject it.

I think quicktime will only play the movie in a browser at the native size , or the size it was set in the html code, if you know the URL of the movie you can play it in Quicktime by clickin File>Open URL (apple+U), if you need to find the url of an embedded file in Safari use the Activity window, Window>Activity and copy and past it in to QT

6. MotleyPete macrumors regular

If you're using Safari 4, try clicking on the zoom buttons to resize the movie.

[​IMG]

It works with most embedded vids

7. SteelCity thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 3.2.1. I'll upgrade it, thanks!

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or command-+ if you don't have the button on your toolbar ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]