simple way to keep Mail synched between two Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Mar 5, 2011.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I have two Macs, and would like to keep Mail synched. I get all the incoming mail in both (it comes in from a POP account, I think it's called), but if I send an email from one Mac, it doesn't show up in the Sent folder of the other Mac.
    I don't want to go to gmail or .mac, which I know would keep everything synched because it all happens on-line. Is there some Mail plugin that would keep my Sent box synched, along with my Inbox?
    thanks, malch

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You cannot do this with a POP account. Since you seemingly refuse to switch to an IMAP account, what you want is not possible.

3. gks macrumors 6502

Yup. IMAP is the only way to do this. POP simply does not allow for it to happen this way.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Theoretically it can be done with Exchange as well - but yeah, POP won't do it.

OP, check your provider's help page - my host allows me to use either POP or IMAP, at my discretion.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So like other said you really can't, but could you set it up so you could use remote access (or whatever it is called now) the other mac through the net and then at least you would have access to the sent mail, etc. on the other mac if you needed to access an email you sent, etc. I know it is not an ideal solution, but possible I would think.

6. svenn macrumors 6502

As stated, imap is the way to go. Way back when, I originally set up as pop. Then I converted over to imap, a huge hassle, but totally worth it when it was done. Just take the time to do it correctly once so you don't have to keep fiddling with the settings.

Now that I have seen the imap light, I always wonder why anyone would ever choose pop

7. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Chronosync

Hi,

I use Chronosync for this (between my MBP 17" and MBA 11" ultimate). Just make sure you have the detailed instructions from Chronosync to do it or you'll mess up everything in a very bad way.

Secondly, if you used machine 1 to open and download mail, don't use machine 2 before you sync..... because I believe the mail numbers are in a serial.... (i.e. if the last mail on machine 1 was 2002, next will be 2003 and 2004 et al) but it will be the same on the machine 2 since you last synced them.

Now if you use machine 1 its next mail will be 2003 and from x sender. However if you use machine 2 without syncing with this updated status of machine 2, its (machine 2's) 2003 will be y..... and that's where the problem starts.

Hope that helps.

Preetinder

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The OP did say simple.;)

9. waynep macrumors 6502

10. dknightd macrumors 6502

you could cc yourself on all outgoing mail (probably mail can be set up to do this), then, set up a rule that puts mail sent by you into the "sent" box. I haven't tried this, but it should be possible, and fairly easy, maybe.

11. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you everyone. I will check out IMAP (will google it first to get a definition). I appreciate the advice. (I don't want to CC myself, although that was a worthwhile suggestion, and Chronosync sounds way too complicated for me).
    Regards,
    malch