Simple Website Help Needed

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by scamit, May 19, 2007.

1. scamit macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking to create a website mostly to keep a photo gallery for my recent engagement and wedding to come. Also, to inform people of the wedding date, directions, time, etc. I want to site to be simple, but look good. I have no clue where to start, I looked at Iweb and found some of the templates to be good, but not what I am looking for. I would love to do something flash based, but I think that might be too difficult for a beginner. I would like something like this site.

Can anyone point me to a software package which has pretty nice looking templates or even a tutorial. As you can tell, i am pretty new to creating a website so something easy will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Well, iWeb is always the best bet in this situation IMO, but these also look kind of cool (for templates):

http://www.templatemonster.com

Congratulations on the wedding, btw! Best of luck! :)

3. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

For those flash templates, which program can I use to open the flash templates and edit them? Can i just use iweb to open the flash templates and edit them?

Thanks

4. cmeegama macrumors newbie

yup, I can help you with this, just send me a private message when you are free.
    Cheers

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You need Flash which is very expensive. iWeb can't handle it. In fact, here is the link to Flash.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

If you can stomach minimal modifications and want something that's free and works great, use Wordpress as a blog/CMS to maintain info about your wedding and install Gallery to maintain your photoalbums. Then install the wpg2 hack to embed and integrate the two.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is. If you have a server, mySQL, PHP, you're pretty much set.

Flash is just overkill IMO.

7. stevens macrumors newbie

website builder

To develop a fascinating website, u can go for website builder tool from websmartz. http://www.websmartz.net/

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

You need Adobe Flash to create and edit Flash websites.
    The learning curve is fairly steep though.

Download the Flash demo from adobe.com and buy a good book on the subject. Flash concepts are often just as difficult for experienced traditional web developers as they are for complete novices.

BTW, Flash sites are very cool if they run smoothly and quickly, so endeavor to produce a fast, easy to navigate site if you want people to stick around to see your content.

9. chepistolas macrumors member

chepistolas

Why don't you just use the software that was used on the site. http://www.thebigpicturelibrary.com/

From what I am seeing, they make a site for you and they host up to 250 pictures for free. . .

10. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone. What I ended up doing is using a template from Open Source templates, which btw, has amazing templates for free. I am going to pass on using Flash and for the gallery, I am probably going to use SimpleViewer or Photocards by the same people who made simpleviewer. Someone has made a really handy export for iPhoto so its extremely easy to use.

11. bigmac102 macrumors newbie