Simple wireless connection question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saritabou, Oct 23, 2008.

1. saritabou macrumors newbie

Have an old ibook that dates back to 2001, it's a g3. Would like to have a wireless connection on it as I also have a desktop pc and would like to use the ibook around the house. Tried using a USB LAN to get the wireless connection but not sure what to do. The USB works if I put it on the pc which proves that I can have wireless but there's nothing when I plugg it to my ibook. My router is a netgear WGR 614.
    Can someone put me out of my misery please and yes I know my mac is getting on. :)

2. poolish macrumors regular

does the ibook recognise the usb wifi device at all? maybe it needs software

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It's probably the software. I got an old Bondi blue imac running on my wireless but I had to buy a specific usb/wireless dongle in order to get it to work. Have you checked your manufacturer's website for compatibility?

4. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I agree with the others. Sounds like a software issue. Need to find drivers for that device or find one that supports OS X.

5. saritabou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Got the device from my parents who have exactly the same ibook as me (or so I think) If need be how do I get the software? Sorry to sound so useless:confused::eek:

6. paintthecity macrumors newbie

You can just get the CD that came with it and have them give it to you, or look it up on google, and you should be able to find a driver.:)

7. saritabou thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that last advice. managed to find the software and successfuly downloaded. a million thanks for that but what is a wpa pre shared key code
    :confused: