Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
A user on another forum made an interesting discovery. Essentially, he was able to manually install the latest Official AMD drivers for his Mac which bypasses having to wait for Apple to update their bootcamp drivers.

1. Download the latest AMD drivers and run the program. This will extract the files to your main C drive and it will then say that no hardware is detected, that's okay. Exit the program.

2. Go into device manager and right click your GPU under 'Display Adapters' and select 'update drivers'

3. Select 'Browse my computer for drivers' and then select the AMD file that was extracted to your C drive then select Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

4. Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

5. Select "Have Disk"

6. Browse to the AMD file that was extracted to your main drive. AMD\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

7. In the WT6A_INF folder, there will be a file called u0356013.inf, that will be the file you select to manual update drivers.

8. A giant list of AMD cards will come up. If you are using the AMD pro vega II, select Radeon VII and install those drivers. If you are using the 580x, select the 580x. If you are using the w5700x, select 5700xt...

9. Enjoy your newly installed latest AMD drivers. A reboot may be necessary.

The only catch is that you will not be able to install the AMD radeon software, you'll just have the drivers. So if you absolutely need the Adrenalin software, this workaround isn't for you.

I personally have the Vega II and am using the Radeon VII drivers and have been running bootcamp for the past 3 days with absolutely no issues. Even played intensive games such as BFV, Modern Warfare, Anno 1800 etc and have not had 1 hiccup at all.

This was useful for me since there is a graphical issue with Modern Warfare that was fixed with the latest AMD driver and Apple hasn't updated their drivers to include the latest AMD drivers to fix the issue. I don't want to wait 6 months for Apple to update the drivers...

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Does bootcampdrivers.com not support these GPUs on the Mac Pro? I would prefer going that route if it were me, getting the Radeon Control Centre and the GPU being recognised as itself and not thought to be something else

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Does bootcampdrivers.com not support these GPUs on the Mac Pro? I would prefer going that route if it were me, getting the Radeon Control Centre and the GPU being recognised as itself and not thought to be something else

They definitely don’t support the W5700X yet, and wouldn’t support the W5500X either. I think they support the rest of the Mac Pro cards though.

I’m curious to try this on my Mac Pro though. I just installed my old 5700XT for games as the current Windows drivers are trash and are having the afore mentioned issues with COD MW.

Attachments

• 1BBFD3F4-2441-4C9E-9FC7-570D2A2DDF46.jpeg
    1BBFD3F4-2441-4C9E-9FC7-570D2A2DDF46.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 649
  • A353F01F-1A30-4612-94E6-0B794B22B678.jpeg
    A353F01F-1A30-4612-94E6-0B794B22B678.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 646

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009

On bootcampdrivers.com, drivers have not been updated since April, there have been several driver versions since then. Additionally, at least for my Mac, I experience random lockups with the drivers there. I don't get lockups with official bootcamp drivers or this method. So YMMV.

Oval

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
I can't find RX 580X drivers in any drivers update.
Have had select RX 560X. Works so far.

Zachary Stne

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020
A user on another forum made an interesting discovery. Essentially, he was able to manually install the latest Official AMD drivers for his Mac which bypasses having to wait for Apple to update their bootcamp drivers.

1. Download the latest AMD drivers and run the program. This will extract the files to your main C drive and it will then say that no hardware is detected, that's okay. Exit the program.

2. Go into device manager and right click your GPU under 'Display Adapters' and select 'update drivers'

3. Select 'Browse my computer for drivers' and then select the AMD file that was extracted to your C drive then select Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

4. In the WT6A_INF folder, there will be a file called u0356013.inf, that will be the file you select to manual update drivers.

5. A giant list of AMD cards will come up. If you are using the AMD pro vega II, select Radeon VII and install those drivers. If you are using the 580x, select the 580x. If you are using the w5700x, select 5700xt...

6. Enjoy your newly installed latest AMD drivers. A reboot may be necessary.

The only catch is that you will not be able to install the AMD radeon software, you'll just have the drivers. So if you absolutely need the Adrenalin software, this workaround isn't for you.

I personally have the Vega II and am using the Radeon VII drivers and have been running bootcamp for the past 3 days with absolutely no issues. Even played intensive games such as BFV, Modern Warfare, Anno 1800 etc and have not had 1 hiccup at all.

This was useful for me since there is a graphical issue with Modern Warfare that was fixed with the latest AMD driver and Apple hasn't updated their drivers to include the latest AMD drivers to fix the issue. I don't want to wait 6 months for Apple to update the drivers...

Hey TrevorR90,

Thanks for the tip! However I’m stuck at step 4

When you say: “4. In the WT6A_INF folder, there will be a file called u0356013.inf, that will be the file you select to manual update drivers.” I can’t select this file because it doesn’t appear within the browser window. I can only see it when going through my C drive regularly but not when following these steps...
Any tips? Been really Trying to find a workaround for this terrible W5700x bootcamp driver...

Cheers

Zac

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Hey TrevorR90,

Thanks for the tip! However I’m stuck at step 4

When you say: “4. In the WT6A_INF folder, there will be a file called u0356013.inf, that will be the file you select to manual update drivers.” I can’t select this file because it doesn’t appear within the browser window. I can only see it when going through my C drive regularly but not when following these steps...
Any tips? Been really Trying to find a workaround for this terrible W5700x bootcamp driver...

Cheers

Zac

Sorry, I completely omitted a step.

You click on "Browse my computer for drivers"

Then click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

Then click "Have Disk"

Then browse to the u0356013.inf file

After that a whole list of GPUs will populate.

Zachary Stne

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020

Then click "Have Disk"

Thanks so much for the fast reply! I’ll give it a shot tonight. :)

Zachary Stne

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020

Then click "Have Disk"

Ok so the list works but the 5700xt is nowhere to be found... the closest thing is the « AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series » but if i’m not mistaken it’s pretty outdated haha

Is there a specific AMD driver software to install to get it in the list? I’ve tried doing the direct download and by choosing the graphics card and all but still no 5700xt driver to select in the list...

Appreciate the help ?

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Ok so the list works but the 5700xt is nowhere to be found... the closest thing is the « AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series » but if i’m not mistaken it’s pretty outdated haha

Is there a specific AMD driver software to install to get it in the list? I’ve tried doing the direct download and by choosing the graphics card and all but still no 5700xt driver to select in the list...

Appreciate the help ?

5700 Series should cover all 5700 cards, XT and Non. AMD creates drivers for each series of cards, the firmware on the card is what distinguishes an XT and non XT card.

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
it's easier to run the up to date adrenaline software and take the option to remove old driver first. The software will factory reset your card, reboot and install updated drivers. Your card should be fine and recognized automatically. And the adrenaline software will notify you of newer drivers. That software also has the radeonboost option as well as other tweaks.

Reactions: hwojtek

Zachary Stne

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020
it's easier to run the up to date adrenaline software and take the option to remove old driver first. The software will factory reset your card, reboot and install updated drivers. Your card should be fine and recognized automatically. And the adrenaline software will notify you of newer drivers. That software also has the radeonboost option as well as other tweaks.

Hey thanks for the help. The thing is I can’t even run the adrenaline software because it doesn’t recognize my gpu. All I can do is close the app... I feel like this is a W5700X GPU only issue. I can’t find anything online about someone successfully running a non bootcamp driver with this card.

tried the HD 5700 series driver, can’t get Warzone to open because « the driver isn’t capable of running the game ». Back to square one lol

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
I take it you are on a 2019? I've looked around...a lot. Does Apple support bootcamp on your machine?

I looked at AMD's site and found Radeon Pro W5700 drivers. They like to group item in a thousand number capacity. It's missing the "x", but maybe it may work?

RChav

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I've have a 7.1 with a Pro Vega II Duo card, but I am not seeing the Radeon VII in my list when I load the inf file (named U0358376.inf in the 20.8.3 drivers). Any advice or alternates I should consider?

Thanks!

Reactions: dabotsonline

RChav

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
slight clarification, I can see the Radeon VII in the inf file if I open the file in a text editor, but its not present in the list that shows up after selecting "Have disk" in Windows' driver selection screen.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
AMD indicate on the Adrenaline download page that ... this driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.

According to Apple Support & AMD, the correct & latest Boot Camp drivers are available here including for Mac Pro (2019-2020) with Radeon Pro 580x, Radeon Pro Vega II and Radeon Pro W5700X / W5500X

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Installed the new drivers, following all the instructions (DDU to remove everything, etc.), and it runs like crap. No rainbow effect, but the frame rate is appalling.

Sparkles all over the windows desktop over HDMI at 4K as well. Desktop is fine over DP and Thunderbolt.
DB74FA14-5F6A-4B41-9592-7BC56ACB9FD2.jpeg

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Installed the new drivers, following all the instructions (DDU to remove everything, etc.), and it runs like crap. No rainbow effect, but the frame rate is appalling.

Sparkles all over the windows desktop over HDMI at 4K as well. Desktop is fine over DP and Thunderbolt.
View attachment 948995

Good lord, thankful that I didn't get the w5700x. Just seems like the w5700x is plagued with problems on the bootcamp side and some issues on macOS as well..

I've never had issues at all with my Vega II.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Good lord, thankful that I didn't get the w5700x. Just seems like the w5700x is plagued with problems on the bootcamp side and some issues on macOS as well..

I've never had issues at all with my Vega II.

It does seem to be a bit of a mess. That said, I don't think I've had issues on the macOS side.

blackie36

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2006
The bootcampdrivers AMD drivers have now been updated for the W5700X. I went through the process of an install this morning and the performance (in MS FS2020) was shockingly bad. I have ended up reverting back to the Apple Bootcamp drivers which give pretty reasonable performance.

I had hoped the newer drivers would have a positive impact, but sadly that was not the case.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
The bootcampdrivers AMD drivers have now been updated for the W5700X. I went through the process of an install this morning and the performance (in MS FS2020) was shockingly bad. I have ended up reverting back to the Apple Bootcamp drivers which give pretty reasonable performance.

I had hoped the newer drivers would have a positive impact, but sadly that was not the case.

Mirrors my experience.

I'm going to try the DDU removal process to cleanse my Win 10 install of the driver gunk and do a fresh install of the new Apple drivers.

blackie36

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2006
I have now had success in getting the latest windows drivers running properly for my W5700X and can see a decent improvement in performance.

This will only work if you take the following steps (which differs in some parts to the video install guide on bootcampdrivers.com)

- Boot into safe mode

- Run DDU (as per the bootcampdrivers.com install video) 3 times. After the third time, restart.

- Boot back into windows normally, and install the *official Apple bootcamp drivers*, via the setup file. Do not restart your computer.

- Download bootcampdrivers.com August Red drivers, use 7Zip to extract them to a folder and call that folder ‘Red’.

- Without restarting, go to Device Manager and under Display, right click on your graphics card (It should be identified as W5700X now), and click update driver. Search for drivers manually, and point it towards the folder ‘Red’. Keep the option ‘search within subfolders’ ticked. It should update the driver.

- After this is done, before finally restarting, run the setup.exe from the folder ‘Red’, and make sure ‘Factory Reset’ is NOT checked.

The above steps should get the drivers installed and a notable performance increase. I still have an issue with the Adrenalin software crashing but this does not affect in any way the stability of the driver, or impact performance.

Reactions: fireedo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.