Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I love all things Apple, but is there an app that's simpler to use on my phone than what can of worms iTunes currently is? I have everything set to 'off'... Apple Music is off, "Show only music on my phone" is turned on, etc.... but it's still confusing to just play a few songs without my phone trying to stream with wifi or showing a ton of things I don't care about. Even if it's with less options, are there any apps that can sort and play my iTunes-purchased music a little simpler?

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
WOW! How did I not know about alternative music players before now! I just bought them both, they are both versions of what I was hoping for..... THANK YOU!

**If anyone knows of a better one yet, let me know... price isn't a concern.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Try Ecoute or Harken. Both worlds better than stock music app if you only want to play synced music.

Ecoute looks interesting, but looks like they have stopped development. The mac version looks very interesting too.

I would love to get off itunes software, been using since it was soundjam. Now it has too many adds and features that require signing up for fees, complicated menus etc.. I just want to play existing music and not load to icloud etc.

Looking forward to to this thread and other suggestions that might be added

Reactions: Turnpike

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Ecoute looks interesting, but looks like they have stopped development. The mac version looks very interesting too.

I would love to get off itunes software, been using since it was soundjam. Now it has too many adds and features that require signing up for fees, complicated menus etc.. I just want to play existing music and not load to icloud etc.

Looking forward to to this thread and other suggestions that might be added

Great! I will keep watching for suggestions that get added too, I've been using Harken since the first suggestions were given, and it's SO much nicer than iTunes. There are too many streaming options, radio options, Apple music options... as with most apps, there is a point where there are too many features and it actually becomes less easy to use, and I think that's where iTunes has gone and gone far beyond. I still keep my iPhone 4 just to play music on my speakers here, because the iTunes app is still somewhat simple.

Glad to know there were options, and that that it wasn't a silly question- looking forward to any other suggestions.

Reactions: mikzn

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Ecoute looks interesting, but looks like they have stopped development.

Where did you learn that? They do simple bug fix releases every now and then.

My only issue with the app some pointless animations which make it less responsive at times. Otherwise, its a lightweight app and does its job really well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.