simpler way to sync photos to my iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs, that I sync my photos & images of my artwork to, so I can show to people.

I had created an iphoto library since there does not seem to be a simple way to just drag & drop images onto the phone & have them arrange in the order I want, so I had to go through iphoto to do it.

it also seems that itunes is the only app or way I can sync content onto the iphone.

the part that gets to be a little bit of a hassle is I have my iphoto library with my images on one of my external hard drives labeled main.

I also have another external hard drive called music, where I keep my itunes music library & ripped audio cds.

when ever I connect my iphone, & turn on my "main" external hard drive containing my iphoto library to my mac & try to open itunes, to sync to my iphone, itunes gives me a message saying it cannot locate it's library & gives me an option of creating a new one or locating the one it wants, or quit. itunes will not let me go any further to get my iphoto library to sync to my iphone.

So I end up having to connect & turn on my "music" hard drive, even though I do not need my music just so itunes can locate my itunes library, open up & work with my iphone.

is there a way for me to open itunes up & sync my iphoto library to my iphone without having to have my music drive connected & turned on.

2. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Over 200 views, I guess everybody only uses itunes, & I am the only one on here who would like to try something different?

3. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Seems like your current set up is creating you unnecessary hassle?

I find that iPhoto syncing with your phone adds in a lot of extra functionality (like the places, faces, events etc) so I've never really looked at any other way to sync stuff to your phone. You could look at online methods, like a photobucket account and pull from there? Haven't really looked at any other image storage applications because iPhoto pretty much has it spot on for my needs, but then my needs are standard and yours may not be.

I'd suggest perhaps looking at a different way of organising your media. Instead of an external hard drive that sounds like its a pain, perhaps a network drive thats always on and ready to go when you need to use iTunes. NAS are quite simple to use and there are plenty of affordable options available and would remove this headache for you, with it being stashed out of the way and no need to interact with it or have to worry about whether its connected when you want to use one of the more common applications on a Mac.

It could also allow you the Time Machine functionality to back up your images on your Mac which obviously seem quite important.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response, I know how I have it set up may be the problem, & I was looking for suggestions, I like the idea of a NAS drive, but we want to keep our electrical bills down, & the power is not the best in my 1950's era home, the wiring is old & not ground, & we do have power outages, where our circuit breaker trips off.

what I did was make a new itunes library on the drive that has my images that I want to sync to my phone, so now my images & itunes are on one drive, I do not have to have my music drive turned on. So when I open itunes to sync, it opens the new library, on my images drive, & am not prompted to find an existing library or make a new one.

5. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Interesting. Does that mean that when you want to alter what photos you have on your iPhone it removes the music from there? And vice versa?