Simplest Case Solution for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by seanuhthin, Aug 16, 2010.

1. seanuhthin macrumors member

seanuhthin

I have already ordered my free bumper case, but thats beside the fact. If not the bumper, what is the perfect solution to my bare iPhone haha? I bought it to maintain my email and work, and I would love to just USE it, but how do I protect it without going overboard? I really just want a basic system that works, and doesn't damage my phone in the process. If I can just keep my iPhone out of box clean, usable, and simple, I would be so happy. Just looking for recommendations so please help.

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Get one of those invisible film covers. That way any scratches that occur will be on the film cover and not your phone!

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can try this: http://www.ocdtribe.com/

LOL :D:D:D

You just have to chill friend, get a bumper or a case, and if you want to protect the glass get a skin for it and that should do it.

4. jp70 macrumors member

I feel you...

I've been like that with everyone of my iPhones...and it lasts around a month. Inevitably something will blemish the phone. The 3G and 3GS where dust magnets for me...under the screen. No matter how careful I was.

For the iPhone 4...I tried the case for 1 day....it's horrible. 3rd party charge plugs rarely work, the mute button is very difficult to operate. So I went naked...was careful. I fell asleep at my mother-in-law's house on vaca with the phone on my chest. I woke up with it sitting on a ceramic coaster. Nice scratch on the back.

I found a black silicone wrap that has easy access to all ports and a little hole cut out the back to show the Apple logo through. Even with the case on it's still smaller profile than the naked 3GS. I'm very happy with it. It allows me to easily remove the dust that accumulates around the screen edges and set anywhere. Once they are available I'll purchase a Otterbox Defender for when I go camping/fishing.

Long, but I hope that helps.

5. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

Wow, thanks for the med recommendations everyone. To be honest, my question was, what is a simple solution that isn't overdoing it? I don't have OCD, I just don't like my 200 dollar phone getting effed up.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Then put it in a velvet-lined case in a lockbox and never use it. It's a tool...it's gonna show some wear over time.

7. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

(towards Bandolier) Wow great response! I actually just got my first job recently, and I happen to be 16. I'm paying my own phone bill for the first time, out of gratitude for all of the years my parents have been paying mine. I have plenty of nice things, and am not poor. I try to respect all of my stuff, and to be honest, you haven't helped me so why even post?

(eawmp1) I just asked what case is best! I already said I want to use my phone. I swear every-time I ask a question on the forums here, I get some snoody negative response.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That's NOT what you asked.

9. bruceleroy macrumors member

bruceleroy

10. FlashHead macrumors regular

To the OP:

I had no trouble understanding what you were asking.

I think the bumper with a screen protector is a reasonable solution. One gives some protection against falls and the other from incidental scratches. I would prefer to keep it naked as well, but more so, I don't want to be constantly babying it. I don't have to think twice when plopping my phone down on a table, for instance.

The bumper is reasonably low profile, and arguably makes the phone a little more comfortable to hold, but also a little bulkier. Another advantage is that it largely maintains the original design of the phone. It has also shown no wear and tear on the phone by taking the bumper on and off.

If I had to choose one only though, it would be the screen protector. My phone is more likely to get small scuffs and scratches than suffer a glass shattering fall (knock wood!). I think there are reasonable options that offer a clear enough protector with a decent feel.

So, to answer your very clear question, I think these are quite reasonable options that will protect your investment and give you peace of mind while still maintaining the design, functionality and ease of use the phone was meant to have.

11. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I haven't yet figured out my plan, but I agree with FlashHead that the bumper and some sort of wrap or screen protection seems like a good solution. If the bumper was available immediately (rather than with the wait), I would do that for now and see how it goes. Until you can get your bumper, maybe try a full wrap or skin?

12. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Actually I got one of these off ebay as well in green, and people who see it, even up close, think I have a green iPhone until I tell them it's a case. Not the best protection, but combined with a screen protector strikes a good balance between aesthetic and protection from at least scratches.

The US seller I got mine from I believe was caseusa. Got it within three business days (a lot of the other sellers selling these cases are direct from HK and can take weeks to arrive -- you save about five bucks with them, but there's wait time).

Word of warning, they are a bit snug in fit and can be difficult to remove.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Try the iFrogz Luxe Lean case. It's pretty low profile, has a nice velvety touch to it and provide protection for the phone for daily use. Don't think it'll do a whole lot from protecting it from a fall/drop but it should do well for you.

14. undercompensate macrumors member

How much maintenance are you willing to put in?

With most cases (especially the hard plastics), you generally have to take them off and wipe them down once a week or so. Otherwise, dust will build up and scratch the surface you're trying to protect -- whether it's the stainless steel antenna band or the glass back. Otherwise, you may want to go for a skin or a clear protective film.

I support what the above posters said about screen protectors. You're definitely going to want one for your front screen. Although the glass may be more resistant to scratches, user feedback suggests that the oleophobic coating is softer and thus more prone to fine scratches. Two films to consider are SGP Oleophobic and PS Anti-glare films. There's a lot to read and see about them on the forums.

As for myself, I've put on Luckylab's metallic silver side decals, a carbon-fiber "Teksure" back, and PS anti-glare film on the front. All-in-all, I have a phone that is pretty resistant to fingerprint smudges and is easy to clean. I traded off the additional safety of cases to keep the phone's streamlined form factor. Just have to make sure I never ever drop my phone ;)

Hope that helps.

15. MACZ macrumors newbie

If you don't care much about the drop protection I'd say go with the TPU case. I just like the way that it doesn't have the silicone sticky feeling and it doesn't attract that much dust. It's also a slim case so it doesn't add any excessive extra weight to the phone.

Here's the place you can get it for cheap and the quality is alright. I'm using it right now, it fits with a little bit of massage.

http://www.casebargain.com/index.php/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/iphone4-silicone-gel-clear.html

or you can go for the casemate gelli case
    http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Gelli-Cases.asp

Hope this help,

16. chanerz macrumors 6502a

17. g35 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I think the simplest solution (balance of protection and usability) is a simple sleeve that's wide open on one end with no flap. You get protection in case it drops out of your pocket (has saved my phone a few times) but you get to use the "naked" iPhone with it's in your hand. It's protected from scratches in your pocket and it shouldn't get scratched while you hold it in your hand anyway. Plus it looks "professional" or whatever in my opinion.

You can control the ring/vibrate switch without taking it out of the sleeve, and just pull it out an inch or so to see the time or control the volume.

Obviously everyone will give a different answer to thsi question but I wanted the same thing as you...a simplest solution that would protect my phone while still maintaining it's "clean" look and feel. I think it nicely fulfils your request of "If I can just keep my iPhone out of box clean, usable, and simple". Your biggest concern with this will be fingerprints, but you could get a screen protector for that if you wanted.

I think the most popular version is Sena's leather sleeve but there are lots out there. Mine's a cheap $5 fake leather version but it gets the job done.

[​IMG]

18. eemchpee macrumors newbie

An film set will cover the back and the LCD in the front. However, I do recommend even a skin guard or a case..

19. chanerz macrumors 6502a

taken from blackberry 8520 camera

Attached Files:

20. Fisher624 macrumors regular

I agree. I use a sena ultra slim and have an SGP EX ultra crystal on the back just to make sure. It takes about 2 seconds to get the phone out of the sleeve when it rings and if you want to put the phone down without putting it back in the sleeve, you have a safe place to put it, on the sleeve.

21. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

I just saw a thread showing a combination of the apple bumper, and leather skin. So awesome!!!!!!!! What do you all think? I don't know how skins effect the back whether it be negative or positive, but I think these two in combination with a quality screen protector would be stunning