Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Ok. . .confused. I have an AppleTV v2, the latest version of handbrake and want to rip some movies for viewing ONLY on the AppleTV. I want highest quality and 5.1 sound. What setting(s) do I need beyond clicking the AppleTV preset - how do I specify that I want 5.1 sound and best quality?

thanks
Adam

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Just click the preset for Apple TV. So long as you've done the update of the presets, that should give you 2500 video bit rate (as good as you'll get from your DVDs) and both AAC and AC3 audio. If you have a movie that's more than 4 gigs in size, it won't play unless you turn on 64-bit encoding in the preferences (but then won't stream). In those circumstances, I bump down the video bit rate a bit. For example, at the moment I'm encoding King Kong Director's cut at 2300 bit rate because at 2500 bit rate it comes out at 4.03 gb. (I want to be able to stream.)

magikgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Way to predict size?

I also want to stream content at 4GB in size. Is there a way to predict the size of file before encoding? I just don't want to use the trial and error method. I want it right the first time; it takes so long to encode.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
According to one of the Handbrake devs on another thread the 64-bit files will stream fine to the Apple TV now.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Just click the preset for Apple TV. So long as you've done the update of the presets, that should give you 2500 video bit rate (as good as you'll get from your DVDs) and both AAC and AC3 audio. If you have a movie that's more than 4 gigs in size, it won't play unless you turn on 64-bit encoding in the preferences (but then won't stream). In those circumstances, I bump down the video bit rate a bit. For example, at the moment I'm encoding King Kong Director's cut at 2300 bit rate because at 2500 bit rate it comes out at 4.03 gb. (I want to be able to stream.)

What "update of the presets" are you referring to? When I select AppleTV it does not do AC3. . where can I find the new presets? Thanks.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Just click the preset for Apple TV. So long as you've done the update of the presets, that should give you 2500 video bit rate (as good as you'll get from your DVDs) and both AAC and AC3 audio. If you have a movie that's more than 4 gigs in size, it won't play unless you turn on 64-bit encoding in the preferences (but then won't stream).

Even if you dont turn it on in the preferences, the Built in AppleTV preset automatically turns on 64 bit mp4 . That preference merely "shows" the checkbox in the main window of the gui so the user can choose to turn it on or off. I probably should have been clearer Cave Man. Sorry.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Even if you dont turn it on in the preferences, the Built in AppleTV preset automatically turns on 64 bit mp4 . That preference merely "shows" the checkbox in the main window of the gui so the user can choose to turn it on or off. I probably should have been clearer Cave Man. Sorry.

That's strange. King Kong was coming in at just over 4 gigs and I could not open it in QT or drop it into iTunes.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
I also want to stream content at 4GB in size. Is there a way to predict the size of file before encoding? I just don't want to use the trial and error method. I want it right the first time; it takes so long to encode.

May be slightly different in HandBrake, but you can do this in VisualHub by constraining the filesize to 4290MB. Trial-and-error taught me this yielded a 3.99GB file EVERY time. A little extra room is still open for hi-res artwork and tags. But like I said, it may be different in HB. I'd be interested to know if it works in HB too, though.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Really what size tv are you using. I did tests on HB back in the 0.8.5 or so days at 1500, 2000, and 2500 and the 1500 looked just as good. So I didn't really see a point in going larger.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Yes, that is odd. Was the 64 bit checkbox checked ?

*sigh* mea culpa I just checked and realized that the pref *does* have to be enabled. The appleTV preset will not use 64 bit unless it is. You are correct Cave Man. My apologies.

fixed in our svn already.

magikgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Combining Video Instead of Video playlists

Any suggestions on how to best to combine m4v files as an alternative to video playlists?

What program should I use? Quicktime Pro?
Can you combine 64-bit videos with Quicktime Pro? What is the maximum file size for video and Apple TV Playback? I want to combine (3) 3.5 hour movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.