Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockiesfinest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
colorado
I have a G5 running OSX 10.2.8.

Just purchased a simpletech usb drive. formatted it as a unix drive and everything was working great. it was to be a backup drive.

lost power one day and I got an error message that said I didn't shut the device down correctly (no kidding) andthere may be some damaged data.

I wish I knew if the data was damaged because the drive won't mount. period. does anyone have an idea how I can reaccess the drive? It locks up disk utility (if I start it before turning on the drive it never shows up).

This has to be some knid of simple fix. To think that a drive would be permanently unmountable if it loses power seems crazy.

rodmiller

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
120GB USB drive won't mount

funny, i'm running the same system 10.2.8 and the exact thing has happened to me with my 10gb external usb harddrive.

is this an OS 10.2.8 bug? any fixes? i can't get my data!!!

powerbookje

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
Belgium
I had this several times in the past (esp. under 10.2), the only way to get it to mount is diskwarrior (to save your data), if you have other backups, just format your drive...

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Can you access the drive by booting from the Install disk and using disk utility? That's what I did when trying to find out why my Quadra wouldn't boot, saw the drive but found out it was fried. Just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.