Simpletech Pro Drive going into a coma?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joeloud, Dec 20, 2009.

1. joeloud macrumors newbie

Not sure where else to go because the manufacturer's website has no forum and I can't wait to hear back from their tech support if they can't return my e-mails on the weekend. (I'm leaving town after the weekend, so if the drive is bad, it needs to get returned Monday at the latest). Hoping either someone here ran into the same issue and has a fix, or they can confirm that this is not normal behavior for this model so I can go get an exchange.

I just bought this external hard drive (SimpleTech 1TB Pro Drive) today, and it works nicely until I don't use it for about 20-30 minutes. The light on the front of the device turns off, but the drive acts like it's still connected with everything appearing normal in Mac OS X.

Then no matter what I do with the hard drive (Move files, browse files, unmount the drive or look at it with Disk Utility or Get Info) those tasks will hang, and the computer won't do anything at all until I flip the drive's power off. Then I get the standard "Device Disconnected" message you get when you don't properly disconnect a drive, and then everything starts working again.

So basically, the hard drive is going to sleep, but Mac OS X isn't acknowledging it, and then the hard drive won't wake up no matter what I do. OS X waits for the HDD to do something, and it never does.

I've had this same problem with a different drive before, but that was on an eSATA connection. I switched to only using that drive on FW800 and it has never had a problem since. This drive is on FW800 and now doing the exact same thing that other drive used to do, so I'm not sure what to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using a 2006 Mac Pro with Leopard 10.5.8.

2. lehestro macrumors newbie

I wish I had an answer for you after all this time, but all I can say is that I have the same problem with both of my Simpletech drives. Does not matter the interface: USB, Firewire, or eSATA all result in what you have described.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Me: 15" Macbook Pro 2.8GHz 4GB Leopard 10.5.9

3. DrumminPete macrumors newbie

Possible Solution

I'm having the same problem with my simple tech prodrive. I keep my itunes library on it and sometimes when my AppleTV2 tries to access the library when my computer is sleeping, I get nothing. Then when I go to where the computer is setup upstairs, I wake my Macbook Pro, but the external drive seems to not wake up even though it is still visible on my desktop.

Check out this post

Theres a free download to an app that will prevent specific drives to not spin down.

http://www.applesprite.com/blog/2010/02/03/prevent-an-external-hard-drive-from-sleeping/