Simplicity o2 and iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g33, Jun 24, 2009.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

quick question guys

im thinking of getting the iphone 3gs on pay as u go and then getting an o2 simplicity 12 month contract - more mins, more texts and fewer months im tied down to.

first of all will the iphone work on it wihtout needing to unlock etc?

how do i activate it as from my first iphone i had to unlock it straight off then again my sim at the time was a voda one?

what featres wont work other than visual voicemail?

thanks in advance!

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Everything apart from visual voicemail will work, you won't even have to unlock it. Just stick the sim in and it'll activate. (you pop the O2 sim in, plug it into iTunes and it is activated through iTunes. I seem to remember I had to stick in things like my name and address, presumably to verify that you are the contract holder)

I did this with my iPhone for a year. Also, I was in O2 looking at the 3G S today and the sales guy was going on about how I didn't have to just use PAYG, I could use simplicity too and get more texts and calls that way (I'd already told him I was moving abroad in a few months, hence the hard sell of the PAYG handset)

3. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for that. wierd how u can activate it with that sim. what if i can use my existing contract sim to activate? :) dont want to lock it up and have a brick!

any1 know where to get cheap iphone 3gs?!?! paying 440£ for one seems like the only way to go right now!

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

To be honest I think any O2 sim'll do it. It's pretty much impossible to brick an iPhone anyway and all that'll happen if you don't have the right sim in it is a message pops up on iTunes telling you so, and the phone tells you to connect it to iTunes. Basically the phone just isn't activated.

It's worth trying your sim, then if it doesn't work just get a Simplicity sim and reconnect it to iTunes.

And cheap 3G S? IF ONLY ;)

5. Sam21 macrumors member

Correct.