Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of iOS 16.4, Apple introduced a new beta installation method for those who are enrolled in Apple's Developer Program or who use the public beta testing option.

macos-ventura-13-4-beta-updates.jpg

The changes were exclusive to iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4, but now Apple is expanding them to macOS and watchOS with the macOS 13.4 and watchOS 9.5 betas that were released to developers today. Developers and public beta testers enrolled in Apple's respective programs can toggle on beta updates directly from System Settings on the Mac, and the Software Update section in the Watch app on iPhone.

beta-updates-watchos-9-5.jpg

Apple's new beta installation method replaces the profiles that have previously been used for installing both developer and public watchOS and macOS updates. On the developer side, enabling betas now requires an Apple ID enrolled in the Apple Developer Program.

Using a developer profile without an associated developer account is no longer a possibility, so only registered developers will be able to get access to the developer beta going forward. The same goes for the public betas, though access to the public beta program is free and open to anyone, unlike the developer program, which costs $99 per year.

For minor beta updates, the changes won't have a big impact, but when iOS 17, iPadOS 17, watchOS 10, and macOS 14 are announced, the Apple ID requirement will prevent those who do not have a developer account from being able to install the developer betas. In past years, non-developers have been able to use shared developer profiles to get early access to new software.

Article Link: Simplified iOS 16.4 Beta Installation Method Expands to Latest macOS Ventura 13.4 and watchOS 9.5 Betas

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I wish you could update all devices from a Mac or iPhone.
You can already update HomePods and watches this way, why not everything?
And they usually release all updates for devices at the same time, so an “update all” button would be obvious.
The days of running to the AppleTV to update that, then running to the iMac to update that, then running to the iPhone… just do it all at once.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I wish you could update all devices from a Mac or iPhone.
You can already update HomePods and watches this way, why not everything?
And they usually release all updates for devices at the same time, so an “update all” button would be obvious.
The days of running to the AppleTV to update that, then running to the iMac to update that, then running to the iPhone… just do it all at once.
Do you know strained the update servers would be if everyone’s devices updated all at once?

Hence, why the update isn’t pushed all at once.

Reactions: KeithBN and RevTEG

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The vast majority of people do not update on day one.
This would not change
Even if you enjoyed the early OS preview in 2022 with the dev profile, in past years there was always people that covered every thing you were curious about fairly early.

How long before PB seed? For Ventura the first PB was July 11th, Monterey was July 1st. After that occasionally a PB would not be issued if something was an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colstan

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apple OS releases are in beta stadium per default, so nobody should miss anything. The „what will break, after the install?“ feeling will stay as long as Tim and the marketing department keep on yelling for new features every day.

• Love
Reactions: Menneisyys2

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
it's a little weird, they offer beta updates to the iPhone without doing anything. There's nothing about it on the Mac Mini. However, you once had to create a developer account to access the necessary tools. the default macos installation does not have utilities to assemble applications from source for macos.

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
This is much better. Simpler and everyone gets the beta they should get. dev betas are pretty rough and should not be used by the public anyway, everyone will be happier with public betas if they are just patient.

Reactions: mhnd and KeithBN

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This is much better. Simpler and everyone gets the beta they should get. dev betas are pretty rough and should not be used by the public anyway, everyone will be happier with public betas if they are just patient.
You do realize that Dev seed and PB seed are usually the exact same builds majority of time? This is how it is though most beta cycles. Yes it has changed over the last so many years. I won't say in the past what you said might have been true on occasion but not recently say against Big Sur -> Monterey-> Ventura betas cycles the present the last 3 years worth for different OS's they release at the same time.

Its only during the time of the WWDC 2023 developer preview that the first three beta seeds during June that are solely dev releases until about July when they start releasing PB test seeds, usually matching the dev seed build.

The exceptions that crop up are occasionally are a dev beta seed during the 4 months beta cycle that is not issued to PB testers, this is where they skip issuing it until the next build so many days later or they issue a different build to correct what was given to Devs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Colstan

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
For some reason my account gives me the option of the developer beta even though I’ve never been a part of the developer program. That’s odd.
I had that happen a couple of times, but each time I install the latest beta seed that disappears again. At some point the Apple ID bug causing dev profile still to show that, will be fixed.

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Seems like a serious bug that anybody can install the Developer Beta without signing into a Developer Apple ID (I was able to do this, as a test). I hope there aren't too many new emoji in iOS 16.5 that average owners can't resist.....

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Seems like a serious bug that anybody can install the Developer Beta without signing into a Developer Apple ID (I was able to do this, as a test). I hope there aren't too many new emoji in iOS 16.5 that average owners can't resist.....
Thats not the case. Every instance of installing the beta 1 removed the dev option. I only had it present before the beta 1 was installed. Beta 2 did not show it, nether did those tricks.

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
You do realize that Dev seed and PB seed are usually the exact same builds majority of time? This is how it is though most beta cycles. Yes it has changed over the last so many years. I won't say in the past what you said might have been true on occasion but not recently say against Big Sur -> Monterey-> Ventura betas cycles the present the last 3 years worth for different OS's they release at the same time.

Its only during the time of the WWDC 2023 developer preview that the first three beta seeds during June that are solely dev releases until about July when they start releasing PB test seeds, usually matching the dev seed build.

The exceptions that crop up are occasionally are a dev beta seed during the 4 months beta cycle that is not issued to PB testers, this is where they skip issuing it until the next build so many days later or they issue a different build to correct what was given to Devs. :)
You do realize "usually" and "always" are not the same thing? ;) You mentioned all the exceptions which is exactly my point. The MacRumors article seemed to be saying people will be sad for not getting dev betas, I don't even know if this is actually true, but responding to that I'm just saying its a non-issue and its better than the right betas go to the right audience (if and when there's a difference).

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
You do realize "usually" and "always" are not the same thing? ;) You mentioned all the exceptions which is exactly my point. The MacRumors article seemed to be saying people will be sad for not getting dev betas, I don't even know if this is actually true, but responding to that I'm just saying its a non-issue and its better than the right betas go to the right audience (if and when there's a difference).
Your previous comment (dev betas are pretty rough) still infers some form of quality control difference never mind the Dev seed vs PB seed a day later using the same build, has been the normal release vast majority of time. Nice try. :D

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
Your previous comment (dev betas are pretty rough) still infers some form of quality control difference never mind the Dev seed vs PB seed a day later using the same build, has been the normal release vast majority of time. Nice try.
Bro, thats because there is a difference, as you yourself said. nice try.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Profilesisters...it's the end of an era. 🫡❤️
It does remove the example of someone using bad profiles that allow bad actors to possibly access someone’s iPhone as a example. That seems to be more inline with the increased focus on hardening Apple OS security that we seen with public updates in recent months.

The only other question would be how early the public betas start for whats introduced with WWDC 2023? It varies it was a bit later last year July 11th.

There is also the thought that a new MacOS will have people impacted by the current backup scene they employ. It could be a big nothing or something that the software dev needs some time to get it working. Even Time Machine has been known in the past to break with a new MacOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.