Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
I've been going around the forum in search for pertinent, simple, and practical inputs on MBPr Haswell ~2H 2014 vs the MBPr Broadwell ~1H 2015. I'm set to upgrade my machine but the urgency is such that I want it ASAP but I do not need it NOW. So as you can see it's basically a question of should I buy the next Haswell release or the later Broadwell release, which for the most part is the dilemma of most would-be buyers.

However, the reason why I'm starting this thread is that the discussions here talk about clockspeeds(?), integrated graphics juju(???), blablalba GPU bla bla(???), this and that RAM or whatever technical stuff there are but I think what a sizable number of people would really want to know are the real differences that these technical stuff translate MAY(not will) translate to.

For example:
1) How much more working battery life would the Broadwell version have vs the Haswell one?
2) Would there be any difference if I were to watch a 1080p movie in Broadwell/Haswell?
3) Would I experience lag while processing images in Haswell and would I not in Haswell?
4) Would the heat reduction be THAT considerable?
5) Would the Broadwell version have a MAJOR design difference?
6) The like

Let me know what you guys have. I think this'll help lots. :D Cheers!

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Honestly, even if you don't need it ASAP. You'll most likely be waiting a good 9-10 months until Broadwell. You'd be crazy to wait that long. They're cheaper and slightly quicker. Buy now.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
1) Up to 1 hr more
2) Unlikely, you will get more of a difference in battery life by choosing the non dedicated GPU version than haswell/broadwell.
3) Nope, again, even the iris pro iGPU of haswell is proficient at that
4) Very little heat reduction
5) It's a die shrink. The performance is going to be almost the same but the power consumption will be lower and the iGPU will be about 40% stronger than haswell version. Thus 1 hr more battery life.

Point is pretty much moot if you're set on the dedicated GPU.

Peezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Honestly, even if you don't need it ASAP. You'll most likely be waiting a good 9-10 months until Broadwell. You'd be crazy to wait that long. They're cheaper and slightly quicker. Buy now.

Yea, I'm leaning on buying the Haswell version tbh. I just need to get a "clearer" picture of what'll the Broadwell version have that the Haswell doesn't. ty btw

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
We just don't know.

As you may have noticed Apple give very little away on their products before release, as such we will have very little idea of what it will really be like until a few days before release. What you are asking for is speculation on a product 9 months from release that is fairly pointless, you can speculate on that yourself.

For what you seem to need any current apple laptop will be absolutely great. Will broadwell be any better of course but probably not enough to make it worth waiting when you could have those nine months with blistering performance on a new mac.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I I'm set to upgrade my machine but the urgency is such that I want it ASAP but I do not need it NOW.
With the delay of Broadwell, and you want it ASAP, pull the trigger and don't worry about Broadwell.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Nobody can answer your questions in detail, because basically nothing is known about Broadwell or Apple's plans. I can answer two questions with relative coincidence though

2) Would there be any difference if I were to watch a 1080p movie in Broadwell/Haswell?

Absolutely no.

3) Would I experience lag while processing images in Haswell and would I not in Haswell?

No. If your image processing is so performance intensive that it will noticeably lag a has well CPU, it will most certainly lag the Broadwell CPU as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.