Simplify Eject Menu

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kkachurak, May 23, 2008.

1. kkachurak macrumors regular

So I recently installed a Samsung DVD Burner with LightScribe. It's pretty Cool.

Except, this funky eject menu appeared. I already knew I could just use Option + Eject to open and close the bottom drive.

[​IMG]

So my question is: How can I simplify that long string of nonsense so it just says "Open Lower Drive" or just get rid of that Eject Menu all together?

:confused:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hold down command and click and drag it off.

3. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

No way to get it back once I do that, I presume?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There is, in fact I think it came up recently in macbytes

5. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I've installed the very same drive - though in the other bay, so I have the Samsung in the upper bay and a "Lower Superdrive". Unfortunately, both eject and option-eject only work on the upper bay. Is there a way to change the key commands so I can open the lower bay from the keyboard?

7. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

I'm certainly not sure about this, but I would gather that you need to check the jumpers on the back of the drives. Possibly both need to be set for "Cable Select" for the OS to tell which drive to open/close when using the keystrokes.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Whoops, I made a mistake - I've installed the SH-203N drive, not the SH-202. It's SATA, which means there isn't a jumper setting. Any ideas? Or is the apple drive not pre-configured to cable select?

9. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I just installed that very same drive in the lower drive bay and see the same verbage in my eject menu

Does anyone know the answer to the first part of his question? I know about dragging the eject menu off the menu bar and watching it go "poof", but I don't want to do that. I'd just like to rename the lower drive "Samsung 202N" or something like that. I have a sneaky suspicion the answer is that it can't be done, but I thought I'd ask the question again since nobody addressed it the first time.

James