Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I have almost 14,000 tracks in my iTunes library. iTunes Music lives on a drive called iTunes hanging off of my AEBS and my computer (MP with 10.5.4) and iTunes (the latest...7.1.1?) have no trouble at all attaching to this drive. Most of the library is Apple Lossless and there are probably 100 AAC-protected tracks that this computer is authorized to play.

The problem is this...

Whenever Simply Media on my Mac scans the libraries, it comes up with anywhere between 250 and 6000 tracks, and the number seems to fluctuate. Anybody else having this problem? In every other way, the product seems to work so well, but it doesn't want to grab my entire library, and I don't believe that this is because it is too big.

HELP!

PS: I have written via the computer application to their tech support but nothing back and not even a hint of a support forum at their site.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I haven't seen that problem, but I don't have that many songs either.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I have the same problem. I know they're having problems on their end but I really doubt that's what's causing it. All my songs show up as being shared in iTunes but that's def not the case. I hope we can figure this out! I'm also stuck buffering when trying to play a song but from what I've been reading that seems to be a common problem as their servers are probably overloadrd right now.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
are you maybe just not waiting long enough for it to load your library?

Says in the app it may take a while to load it the first time.

Just an idea.

jmacleodpc19

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
I was having the same problem. I went into my iTunes Preferences, clicked on "Sharing", then selected "Share my library on my local network" and "Share entire library."

Now my whole library is loading up.

tlove

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
i was having the same

problem, would not load all, but i just left it alone and when you see your playlists inside of simplify media, then you know it is completely loaded.

paul-simplify

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
@netdog, sorry for the slow support response. we've caught up to the Friday night email, but we still have 500 or so to go. we love fielding questions and we hate it when people have problems, but we do need to find time for some sleep.

everyone here is pretty technical, so I wanted to explain a bit more how we work. when you first install, you pick folder sharing or library sharing. then, we locate the associated songs and parse them for their meta-information. as we process them we advertise them as available to other devices, including your own "reflection."

So, the scan count you see on your own machine isn't really how many songs we have found -- it is how many are ready to be played by other machines. This has debugging advantages, but now know how confusing it is.

here is what can go wrong:

1) we can't find any songs. this could happen if we can't find your library file or if, somehow, we can't access a file directory

2) we've found files but we can't connect to advertise that they are available. this could be a server problem (like Fri morning), but, increasingly these are strange issues on your machine or local network

Unfortuantely, 1 and 2 look the same to users -- hence much scan / connecting confusion. We need to address this.

3) we can only find some files. usually, it is because the first scan is slow, but other options are that the files aren't support or, maybe, that we can't find the right library file. sometimes people have multiple or old library files

if we are still scanning and "advertising" you won't see playlists. they load last.

here's what to do after install

1) wait a few minutes.

-if you see you song count starting to increase, wait until it stops. if your Reset, it will start over

-if you get stuck at a low number, send us logs using Report Issue

-if you are at 0, pick Troubleshooting

if it says, done -- no files found, switch your sharing settings from library to sharing or vice versa. if it offers other advice, folllow it. if you are still stuck at connect / scanning, use Report Issue. something may be blocking us (Kaspersky AV, a software firewall, etc) or there may have been an installation problem

I hope this helps. I am going to try to roll this up into a much better FAQ for our blog.

ahintz

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2007
I too am having the same problem described by netdog. I have about 4800 music files, most of which are DRM-free. My music files are on a hard drive called "iTunes" attached to my AEBS. My iTunes library file is located in the standard Macintosh HD:Music:iTunes location. I know that Simplify Media can see my shared hard drive, because it will share out 272 files. However, it won't go above that! I've tried using AppZapper to uninstall and the program, and the reinstalled, but it only loaded 272 files again. I sent an email Saturday, so hopefully I'll here back soon!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I too am having the same problem described by netdog. I have about 4800 music files, most of which are DRM-free. My music files are on a hard drive called "iTunes" attached to my AEBS. My iTunes library file is located in the standard Macintosh HD:Music:iTunes location. I know that Simplify Media can see my shared hard drive, because it will share out 272 files. However, it won't go above that! I've tried using AppZapper to uninstall and the program, and the reinstalled, but it only loaded 272 files again. I sent an email Saturday, so hopefully I'll here back soon!

Add the folder that the music is in under sharing in the Simplified Media preferences on your Mac. That worked for me though it also proceeded very slowly (more than 24 hours). That said, it finally works great now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.