Simplify OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lmcintyre, Oct 27, 2008.

1. justind.clark macrumors member

The best webmail service with POP support or in general is Gmail.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

1Password is one of the best password managers out there. Their awards speak for themselves. The only con is that it's $40. I'm sure there are good, free ones out there, but this is the only one I've ever used.

As for a POP3 account, I'd go with Gmail. Has a good web interface and IMAP access.

For remote desktop, you can use the built-in features of OS X. You can also check out different flavors of VNC servers (Vine Server aka OSXvnc). I really don't know how to do remote desktop through the browser in OS X. In Windows XP, you can use tsweb. Actually, you can do web based remote logins though third party services like logmein.com. There is another service for Macs, but I can't remember it. Maybe if you search on Google, you'll be able to find it.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Another alternative emulating the remote desktop feature is to set up an AIM account for you (assuming you don't have one) and your dad so that you can screen share with him. I believe there even is an option where you can set it to accept any requests so all he would have to do is open iChat.

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I highly recommend logmein.com for your remote needs. I've been using it for the past year and it's come in very handy so many times.