Sims 2 Graphics on VMware Fusion 2 with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nhm55668, Apr 26, 2009.

1. nhm55668 macrumors newbie

I installed Windows XP through Boot Camp and the graphics for Sims 2 were fine and game play was fine. Having VMware Fusion makes things more convenient so I decided to install it using my Boot Camp partition as the Virtual Machine. Everything runs properly on XP including starting Sims 2. Gameplay runs well too with one big exception: there are 2 graphics problems. I get purple flashing in the neighborhood screen and on the lots walls are red. I set all the graphic options in the game to low and made sure the 3D graphics options in VMware Fusion are enabled. I don't know what to do!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That's most likely just an issue with VMWare if nothing else. VM and Parallels don't handle graphics intensive applications or games very well, and as far as I know is more of a physical limitation of running two operating systems that are both trying to utilize the video card (it's easier to split up the processor/RAM).

Chances are there isn't much you can do about it. I know Sims 2 isn't a new game, but it can require a fair bit of graphics processing as it's all/mostly 3D. The only games I have run in VMWare myself are Diablo II and Starcraft. Both are quazi-3D that are 10+ years old and don't require much in terms of graphics processing these days.

Both VM and Para have come far in their ability to utilize the graphics card, but it is still very limited and not truly intended for such use. That's why Bootcamp is much better for gaming as it utilizes all of the computers hardware and only limitation is that of the computer's specs (and maybe some outdated drivers).

Maybe in the future it will get better, but right now it's good, but not great.

Just thought about this, you MIGHT be able to update the graphics drivers while booted into BootCamp from nvidia's site (they just started releasing laptop drivers, and have desktop drivers), or from ATI (don't have an ATI card so I'm not sure about them, but there are posts around here for them).

I have done this for myself in Bootcamp, but only recently and have NO idea how it effects my VMWare, if at all, and take no responsibility if doing so causes a meteor to crash through your house and through your computer.

I would assume that the drivers for bootcamp do not affect VMWare as it uses its own drivers. Also that just sounds like too easy of a "fix" to be right.

3. msheldrick macrumors regular

i'd say it's something to do with the virtual graphics since back in the day aka 2 years ago, i bought the Sims 2 and put it on a computer with a nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb of RAM and all of the walls were red. So i guess you'd have to run it from Boot Camp