Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubboles2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
:apple: 24" iMac 10.5.2
Processor: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I should have enough power to run the sims, this is a brand new iMac just came out yesterday best one they make?

I tried installing the Sims2 and then I installed my nightlife CD and added in my old sims2 files off of my old computer. (I saved all my old sims2 files from my old computer onto my external harddrive.) Then I tried to play the game and it would freeze on the start up screen for nightlife.

I also didn't have the glamour life disk anymore so i went out and bought one today hoping that was the problem. it wasn't.

So I did a search on my HD for sims and I deleted everything that came up. then i started over again and it still did the same thing.

So then I opened up the read me file inside of the game folder and it said:

Uninstallation Instructions

To uninstall The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Body Shop, drag the following to the trash:
"The Sims 2" folder which contains the game and The Sims 2 Body Shop applications
"home folder\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2" folder
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2.plist" file
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2BodyShop.plist" file
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2PackageInstaller.plist" file

So I did all of that, re-installed again and this time I only installed the Sims2 and opened it and it got stuck too but later in the start up menu than before.

I could still hear the music and move my arrow around but i couldn't click on anything. I have had to reboot my brand new iMac a few times which I don't want to be doing and I just want to play the sims!! I have gone through so much already and am at a loss for what to do. This is only a small fraction of my computer issues the last week. And I have a 7 year old dying to play all our new expansion packs we just bought.

Would i have to wipe the computer clean? If I did that would they all work? And I'm worried about Nightlife since that was the one that messed it up in the first place. Should i not use that disk anymore?

. . . . . .

1. What should I do? How do i know for sure it's really uninstalled? Something is messing them all up bad.

2. do you guys think it has anything to do with my install disks? Do you think they are all okay?

3. How can I get back my old people and old lots? I tried putting them all in the sims2 folder the very first time I did all of this and I think that was what messed it up in the first place?

:eek:

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
Install both games without starting them, then download and apply this patch
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18775
(dec 07 combo patch)

The games were made pre-Intel, so you need that patch for it to run properly. After that is done, simply drag your old save data to the sims 2 folder for your sims and lots (although, if your old save data has info from a sims 2 expansion you no longer have (like your situation with glamour life) you can't copy the data over)

bubboles2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Lastnight I completely whiped my computer clean and re-installed it still didn't work so I downloaded that combo patch last night and installed it and then ran the game again and it's still getting stuck on the choose your neighborhood screen. :( I'm so over trying to fix this i've spend 3 nights trying to figure this out and still haven't got anywhere. Not sure what else to do. :(

mattwynn65

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Backing Up The Sims 2

I was just wondering how to actually just back up The Sims 2 files. I want to do a fresh install of my OS and have 4 expansion packs installed. What are the proper steps to take to back up my saved game files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.