Sims 3 freezing my MBP.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by sivosam, Apr 9, 2011.

1. sivosam macrumors member

Howdy!

I have new 13" 2.3Ghz i5 macbook pro and Sims 3 keeps freezing my computer so that the only way to solve it is to hold power button down till it shuts down.

I can create new Sim's etc. without any lag using high settings, but when I try to place preset house or try to start playing with any Sim, my MBP freezes. Using the lowest settings & resolution doesn't help, still keeps freezing. I'm not using Time Machine and the problem isn't similar to those who use Time Machine, so that's not it.

I've tried searching for fix, but so far, nothing. Any help? :(

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Expect SIMS 3 to be buggy. Since EA are complete arseholes, they didn't bother to port the game, it's just the Windows version running on a compatibility layer.

Complain to EA support, see what they say.

3. ThatNukkaMoe macrumors newbie

Have you tried re-installing the game?

4. r0bin macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem and tried to reinstall it a couple times but it still freezes. My macbook pro is just a few weeks old so i guess this cant be the problem. Any ideas for this problem??

5. TheStew macrumors member

I just got the game too, running a "15 2.0 pro here and I got lag? Even on medium/low settings it is not perfectly smooth. Am I correct if this is not normal? I see people with pro's from <2011 are running it smooth, and I'm not :S ?

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

It may well be something to do with the GPU which is more then likely different in your MacBook from the one in the newer ones. Maybe the newer MacBooks have a more powerful GPU.

7. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I'm having issues with the Sims 3 on my iMac too.
    Basically the game suppose to work without lags on High and all, but I keep getting like 20fps max and it's just lagging and got gray objects, Seriously no fun. EA sucks, They don't care.

8. TheStew macrumors member

I got a newer one, its the 2011 Macbook pro "15 inch 4gb 256MB DDR5.. Isn't this game supposed to run lagfree on normal settings on the newest macbook pro's?

9. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

you're part of a whole army of users (including me) who are experiencing freezes on certain Macs (MacBook, 13" MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, certain iMacs) here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/413974.page. Thats on the official Sims 3 forum and EA are aware of the problem, but its been nearly a month! x

10. Issypink macrumors newbie

I also have the new MBP 13" 2011 2.3 Ghz. It's one week old today. I decided to buy The Sims 3 but I can't play it! :( after creating a family and buying a house, when I click the house that I bought it just freezes! and the only thing that I could do is to hold down the power key so that it would shut down! and I also have a problem updating!! HELP! =(

11. .md, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

.md macrumors member

.md

This may sound cynical, but are you running any applications in your dock? Safari for example.