Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
France
Hi,

I would like to play the sims 3 on my 2011 MBP 13" (the i7), but I am a bit unsure of spending $$ for the game and not being able to run it properly. I heard the graphic card on this laptop is kind of c***py (intel HD) and that even the processor won't help much?
Do any of you have experience with playing on the newer MBP (I know it was running on the previous one, but ironically it had a better graphic card) =/

Any games you could recommend that my little laptop could run? (I will have to kill time at the airport lol).

Thanks!

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've got a 2008 (pre unibody) MacBook Pro. My graphics card is a GeForce 8600M GT, which isn't a very good one. But I had no problems playing Sims 3, aside from lag with larger houses. I think it'd run a lot better on yours.

As for other games, check out Steam. They've got a lot of great games that run well on even my setup. There is also a summer sale going on currently, so there are lots of discounts if you're interested.

dsiee

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Rual NSW, Aus
Works on mine fine

When my 15" 2.2 mbp is on battery it always uses the integrated aka intel graphics processor which works fine for the sims 3, heck sims 3 runs fine on my old (5yo) laptop with something like a gma 1 gpu! ;)

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
When my 15" 2.2 mbp is on battery it always uses the integrated aka intel graphics processor which works fine for the sims 3, heck sims 3 runs fine on my old (5yo) laptop with something like a gma 1 gpu! ;)

When i'm playing Sims 3 on my new iMac on High, It quite lags so. I'm not sure why though.

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
My 2010 13" MBP ran it pretty well. I say pretty well because it was around 30 fps all the time except for when I had a few other Sims over.. Then it would drop to about 20. Never really got below 15 unless I was in Build mode. Buy mode ran flawlessly, but I build mode not so much.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I ran it on Low. It didn't look too bad, but when you're bored it's worth it.

Last edited:

Egon84

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
King's Mtn, NC
wifes 2011 MBP 13in i5 (sandy bridge) runs everything on high setting with no problems. the only downer is all the expansions she has for pc that are not for mac. (cant boot camp yet)

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
wifes 2011 MBP 13in i5 (sandy bridge) runs everything on high setting with no problems. the only downer is all the expansions she has for pc that are not for mac. (cant boot camp yet)

Of course the Expansions are for Mac either, Just insert the Disc and you'll see it's for Mac too.
and how can you play it on High with no issues? I got a better GPU than yours and it lags on High seriously. >.> How can it be?

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
France
Thanks guys for the replies, I think I will try to buy the game and see how it runs then! I don't need to be on max settings, just want a good enough flow so that it doesn't drive me nuts :D

Also, is it better to play on bootcamp/parallels or straight from mac OS?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I thought it ran well natively on Mac OS. Since you'd be on the same hardware anyways, I don't think the difference would be that big.

Sims 3 is not native, it's a cider wrapper.
Cider technology is much better than it was and doesn't sacrifice much speed anymore, just compare Dragon Age 2 to Dragon Age Origins on mac..

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I've got a 2008 (pre unibody) MacBook Pro. My graphics card is a GeForce 8600M GT, which isn't a very good one. But I had no problems playing Sims 3, aside from lag with larger houses. I think it'd run a lot better on yours.

As for other games, check out Steam. They've got a lot of great games that run well on even my setup. There is also a summer sale going on currently, so there are lots of discounts if you're interested.

yeah, well I see your 2008 MBP and raise you a 2006 MBP! It has an x1600 in it and it runs the sims 3 fine, if on low settings.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
Can anyone explain me how I can show the fps inside the game on Sims 3 for Mac / PC. I'm trying to run the cheat of the fps but it never shows the fps.

Thank you!

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
France
If there are still some curious people out there, I wanted to give an update.

I did install the Sims 3 on the MBP (directly, no Windows) and it's running quite well for now. It runs on average settings, and the game is not laggy (it takes a few seconds to show all kind of designs in the customize mods but then its fine).

Very happy mac owner ! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.