Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electronic Arts has released Sims Bowling (iTunes link) for the iPod.

Join The Sims for fun bowling action! Enjoy challenging, realistic bowling anytime. Use the Click Wheel to control, aim, adjust your power, add spin, and then send the ball screaming down the lane. The Sims Bowling party comes to life with vibrant graphics, sound effects, and multiple game modes. Enjoy "Sims Life," in which you create a Sim and compete in a popularity contest, or bowl against a friend in "Pass-n-Play." Listen to your fans roar -- roll strikes and make The Sims crowd go wild!

The game requires a 5th generation iPod with iPod Software 1.2 or later. Apple notes that they are not compatible with the iPhone.

Electronic Arts had previously revealed that Sims Bowling was coming to the iPod, and that 3 other titles can be expected from them this year.

Article Link

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Anyone still think Apple will stop making ipods with the Click Wheel? I bet the old form factor will stick around for a while.

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Anyone still think Apple will stop making ipods with the Click Wheel? I bet the old form factor will stick around for a while.

Even if the iPod goes touch screen you still have the nano, and even if that goes touch screen you still have future versions of the shuffle. Its not going away for several years yet.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Even if the iPod goes touch screen you still have the nano, and even if that goes touch screen you still have future versions of the shuffle. Its not going away for several years yet.

I wouldn't say the shuffle qualifies as a click wheel. No true wheel function. If that were the case, the front row remote is a click wheel also. :rolleyes:

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
As a Sims fans-it's great!. And can we have a mobile version of the Sims too.

About the iPhone-Apple would need to add in a on-screen virtual clickwheel to play current games.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada

Does anyone think that? Didn't one of the first touch-screen patent applications show that the click wheel would appear as a graphic overlay on screen?

You know how when watching a movie in QT and you bring your mouse over the picture you get that overlay of the pause, skip & scrub controls? I guess I just assumed that a touch-screen iPod would work the same way. Tap the screen to bring up a click-wheel overlay (and other controls -application specific).

Was that just a fever dream?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Does anyone think that? Didn't one of the first touch-screen patent applications show that the click wheel would appear as a graphic overlay on screen?

You know how when watching a movie in QT and you bring your mouse over the picture you get that overlay of the pause, skip & scrub controls? I guess I just assumed that a touch-screen iPod would work the same way. Tap the screen to bring up a click-wheel overlay (and other controls -application specific).

Was that just a fever dream?

Yeah, I doubt they'll get rid of that clickwheel. That's what an iPod IS. This thing that's in the iPhone may be similar in function to an iPod, but an iPod it is NOT. It's harder to control and does just strange stuff. (For example, when listening to a playlist, and you wish to rate a song, you have to tap this tiny album art graphic in the corner, where you're presented with a list of all the songs on the album (not the playlist), and that's where you find the ratings. Then, when you're done, and you turn it sideways, you get all the albums on the iPhone, not all the albums in the playlist. It's maddening!)

Also, iPhone's music player is a pain to use while driving. To skip to the next song, you have to slide to wake it up, then go tap the fast-forward button, all of which requires eyes-off-the-road.

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Yeah, I doubt they'll get rid of that clickwheel. That's what an iPod IS. This thing that's in the iPhone may be similar in function to an iPod, but an iPod it is NOT. It's harder to control and does just strange stuff. (For example, when listening to a playlist, and you wish to rate a song, you have to tap this tiny album art graphic in the corner, where you're presented with a list of all the songs on the album (not the playlist), and that's where you find the ratings. Then, when you're done, and you turn it sideways, you get all the albums on the iPhone, not all the albums in the playlist. It's maddening!)

Also, iPhone's music player is a pain to use while driving. To skip to the next song, you have to slide to wake it up, then go tap the fast-forward button, all of which requires eyes-off-the-road.

I agree with everything you said. However, I think it is imporant to note that, when SJ was describing the iPhone, he called it "the best iPod we ever made". This suggests, to me at least, that they are marketing the iPhone as an actual iPod.

I am very curious as to what will happen with the stand alone iPods now...

nallwdrgn

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
CT
I found it easier to just use the earphones that the iPhone came with. It has that little 'clicker' that you can double click to goto the next song or single click to pause/play. :)

Also let me just say...I cannot WAIT until games can be played on my iphone without having to use edge or wifi

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
After playing Wii Sports I don't want to play this kind of virtual bowling again.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Dammit. My fiance saw it was available and she now wants it on my iPod, and she's still addicted to Tetris.

Oh well, gotta please the better half :D

*I'm addicted to Tetris as well* :eek:

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
I bet when the iPods are OSX based, much better games will be produced. And these games won't work anymore or have to run in some type of classic mode.

That's what I'm afraid... :(

And OT, but why can we play these games on an iPod but not on iTunes? At least, that would give me (a real) reason to buy those games... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.