Simulate Local Network on Host Machine with VMWare Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by T3hPreacher, May 6, 2011.

1. T3hPreacher, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

T3hPreacher macrumors member

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to simulate a local network between the host Mac and the guest OS (Windows XP Pro) in VMWare Fusion. I'm currently sharing a drive through Windows with my Mac, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing so over the air. So, basically, my HDD is plugged into my Mac, but OSX has to read it over our network. Is there a way I can share it through Windows with my Mac without putting the drive on my network?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I set network settings on the VM to "Host Only". This'll do it, right?

2. adamvaldez macrumors newbie

hi

This is how you can do....

To connect a USB drive:
    Plug the external USB hard drive into your Mac's USB port.
    Start VMware Fusion.
    Go to Virtual Machine > USB > Connect <name of hard drive>.

Note: Sometimes Connect <name of hard drive> shows up as Connect Generic External.

Start your virtual machine.

Windows indicates that it is installing the necessary software for your new hard drive and then assigns it a new drive letter.

To access the contents of the USB hard drive, double-click (My) Computer.
    The new drive appears in the (My) Computer window. Double-click it to access the contents.

3. T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I actually already know how to connect an external HDD to my virtual machine. My question is how to share this HDD through my virtual machine with my host Mac.

To make things a little more clear, what I'm doing is renaming files on an NTFS formatted drive. Finder is a way more efficient means of doing that, so I've been sharing it through Windows over the network to work with Finder. However, I'd like to be able to do this without sharing it over the network. I want a way to make VMware share the drive with my Mac without connecting to an external network. Is such a thing possible?