Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Hi, I'm new here. Nice forum...

I'm currently a blackberry user on AT&T and I have an AT&T issued iPhone. Since I use the blackberry for work (primarily email), I'd like to use the iPhone for the internet. I currently have a voice and blackberry data plan, but not an iPhone plan. Will I be able to access the internet with my 3GS? Can I have a blackberry data and iPhone data plan simultaneously? If the iPhone was not originally associated with my number, will I have any problems registering my iPhone with my itunes account? The phone works when I switching the sim card, but I'm unable to access the internet using the AT&T network even though I have an AT&T data plan.

If this topic has already been covered, I apologize for the redundancy. If anyone can point me to a thread that discusses this issue already, I'd appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

amps

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
I switch my sim back and forth between my bb bold and my 3gs... no problems.

I'm certain my iphone was activated with Itunes when I first got it and my Blackberry plan is a personal BIS plan.

my iphone apn is set to wap.cingular but I don't recall setting it so that's probably the default.

It should be fine just activate your iphone and you should be good to go.

bleumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I switch my sim back and forth between my bb bold and my 3gs... no problems.

I'm certain my iphone was activated with Itunes when I first got it and my Blackberry plan is a personal BIS plan.

my iphone apn is set to wap.cingular but I don't recall setting it so that's probably the default.

It should be fine just activate your iphone and you should be good to go.

amps, thanks for the reply. i get the message "could not activate cellular data network You are not subscribed to a cellular data service." i definitely have the blackberry data plan since i access the web through my blackberry. where do i find the the iphone apn? i would imagine that mine should be set to wap.cingular as well since cingular was the original wireless provider for my account.

will i need to jailbreak the iPhone to get access to the internet (non-wifi)? is jailbreak the same as unlock? thanks.

amps

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
You shouldn't need to jailbreak.. I have Iphones that work with jb and without on the the BB plan, doesn't matter.

It seems like I've seen that error when the Iphone wasn't activated... but it's been a while..

The apn is under settings->general->network-cellular data

apn = wap.cingular
username/pass = empty

bleumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
You shouldn't need to jailbreak.. I have Iphones that work with jb and without on the the BB plan, doesn't matter.

It seems like I've seen that error when the Iphone wasn't activated... but it's been a while..

The apn is under settings->general->network-cellular data

apn = wap.cingular
username/pass = empty

how do i verify that i activated the iPhone? does it take awhile to activate? i just received the iPhone this afternoon. also, under general->network, i don't have an option for "cellular data".

amps, thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.