Simultaneous CD import

Discussion in 'iPod' started by trainguy77, Feb 23, 2008.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am looking for a way to import 2 cds at the same time. I have the CPU power to do this I just need an application to do it. Anyone know of one? I am thinking it will need to rip on its own placing them in the itunes folder and edit the database as itunes can't do two at the same time. Anyone have any ideas?

I am using the rip in a row script right now, its great but i would rather it do them at the same time.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

nope

Not possible.

Even if you could, it would only be able to rip them half as fast as they do now, so it would take just as long.

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Not true if you have each drive on a SATA interface. So it would go faster.

4. pna macrumors 6502

I've always done this under linux with multiple scsi cdroms, but have never had an apple machine with multiple drives to try it out on. The underlying, command line tool that I've always used is 'cdparanoia'. You can pass a 'device' flag to this program to tell it which cdrom to use for doing the ripping. There are many front-end GUI programs to cdparanoia on linux, but not as many on the mac. One of them is called 'Max', which will rip and encode into almost any format you can imagine, even multiple formats at once. You may or may not be able to run multiple instances of Max, each pointed at a different cdrom. Definitely worth checking out.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

The trick is i want one that adds it to itunes as well.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Yeah, that was dumb of me.

It's most likely a software limitation, not a hardware one.

7. pna macrumors 6502

Not a problem, it's designed to work seamlessly with your iTunes library. There's a switch that you can set to add files to your library, or to a specific playlist, pretty much whatever you want. If you decide to use it and you're running leopard, make sure you download the beta. It's plenty stable, and will work fine with leopard, whereas the stable version has some leopard compatibility issues.