Simultaneous CS/PS location updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by elek76, Mar 14, 2011.

1. elek76 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This topic might go pretty deep into the implementation of how the iPhone handles its network connection, but anyway...

A friend of mine is working for a network operator and he mentioned to me that during troubleshooting a case, he noticed that sometimes the iPhones send the two LUs (GPRS & GSM) practically simultaneously. Some more investigation showed that this is not done by most of the other mobile phones, actually the only other equipment he saw doing this was a surf stick.
    At least I have seen myself before that some Nokia phones make the GPRS LU some 30 seconds after the GSM LU.

The above finding about the iPhone was surprising to me, knowing that simultaneous data and voice connections are not possible with the iPhone - then what's the point of the two LUs?

Just wondering, does anyone happen to know some details about how the iPhone connects to the network when it's turned on?

Thanks,

Elek

2. himni macrumors regular

All 3G GSM iPhones running on a network that has both Edge and 3G can do voice and data at the same time.