Simultaneous talking and surfing on the iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rickdorr, Jun 11, 2008.

1. rickdorr macrumors newbie

From the AT&T website:

Internet in Your Pocket
    iPhone uses fast 3G and Wi-Fi wireless connections to deliver rich HTML email, Maps with GPS, and Safari-the most advanced web browser on a portable device. iPhone automatically syncs bookmarks from your PC or Mac and has Google and Yahoo! search built in. Since iPhone multitasks, you can even make a phone call while emailing a photo or surfing the web over a Wi-Fi or 3G connection

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhone.jsp

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

correct, you can do both at the same time
    with the old iPhone you couldn't, but I have never really had a use for this anyway

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The difference really is that you can be browsing the internet and then a call can come through rather than being rejected as before. Nothing innovate just another point where EDGE is rubbish.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Wait so on the old phone you couldn't receive an incoming call while you were using any data services?

5. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Right. It would go straight to voicemail.

6. rickdorr thread starter macrumors newbie

Email and web use while talking

I would find this useful as many times I want to exchange emails while talking with someone or access the web while I am talking (or waiting on hold). I have run into this limitation repeatedly on the original iPhone. A nice improvement if this is true.

7. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

this is true, but only when the page is actualy loading so you can be viewing a loaded page and still get a call, its really not that big of a problem

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well I did that before on my K800 way back in 2006 so I was surprised that the original iPhone was so crippled. Now that the iPhone has 3G then it will be able to do it. I would love it too but I have a 1st gen iPhone and am not upgrading because there really isn't too much in the update that I want. Give me 32GBs then I might jump although at this stage I am really waiting for 64GBs.

Seriously it is, also add to the fact that EDGE was a hack in the UK.

10. rickdorr thread starter macrumors newbie

Time to upgrade

Nice!! Thanks for the confirmation.

Tethering for my laptop and I am an upgrader.

11. kingicon1 macrumors newbie

Well, not ANY data services.. just EDGE.. if you are on wi-fi you can get calls like normal.