Simultaneous wireless n dual band routers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick1516, Jun 19, 2010.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Can anybody recommend a good router, I bought a belkin play max today but didn't open it after I saw the one-star rating on amazon:rolleyes:. I'm trying to exchange my house's current one for something with better range that will work on the other side of the house and down a floor(to actually cover the entire house this time). It would need to work well with both normal web page surfing and gaming. I would like it to be under $150 but I could spend a little more if needed. Any recommendations?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Netgear WNDR3700 has been working out pretty well for me.

3. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I honestly don't know much about routers... can somebody explain the advantages of one over the other?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Netgear allows for more advanced configuration, so if you're not a computer person the AEBS would probably be your best bet.

5. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I am a computer person, so it comes down to which one will give me the best speed and range, along with best gaming performance.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Airport Extreme often comes in near the top for range and overall speed. If you have multiple users in your household, however, a ruoter that supports QoS would be better.

7. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I ended up getting this one, but I'm having some trouble setting it up. While going through setup, it keeps telling me I have a static ip, no matter how many times I reset the modem, I got it to say dynamic once, but it wouldn't fetch the dns settings... Any ideas on how to get this working?

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Re: The netgear WNDR3700, when it says 300 mbps + 300 mbps does that mean both bands have to work in wireless n or that both can? Under the specs it says it supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, but it doesn't say if it supports wireless b/g. I am "in charge" of finding a new wireless router for our house as we are switching from dsl to cable and the new cable modem doesn't come with a wireless router. All we really want is the best range possible playing with three Macs that have wireless N, two macs that don't, and one PC that doesn't. I've been looking at the netgear product along with the Airport Extreme. Any other models I should look at? The netgear says it has 8 internal antennae, do you know how many the AEBS has?

EDIT: @flopticalcube I looked up QoS and saw it means Quality of Service. What does that mean in practical use? We will have about three users at a time sharing a 15 mbps cable internet connection (at least I hope it's 15 mpbs, that's what it's advertised at).