Simultaneous Xcode iPhone SDK 2.2.1 and 3.0?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by johnnyjibbs, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #1
    Hi all,

    Now that OS 3.0 beta is out, is it safe to upgrade the SDK to 3.0 or will that mess up my 2.2.1 code?

    I'm thinking of buying the cheapest iPod touch 2nd gen I can find with the view to upgrading the firmware on that so that my iPhone stays on 2.2.1. This way, I'll have a head start on the new features without messing up my iPhone or current apps.

    Will upgrading Xcode and the SDK mess up my current developement or can you just switch between the SDK versions and run side-by-side? Buying another Mac is not an option.

    Many thanks for your help.

    John
     
  2. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

    mccannmarc

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #2
    Good question, suppose we will have to wait and see what peoples experiences are.

    Normally minor revisions of the SDK can run side by side and you can choose which SDK to target your app at. I can't see why this wouldn't be the case this time round either, especially if Apple decide to make the new OS a paid upgrade as that really will a PITA for developers who have apps almost ready to be deployed now
     
  3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #3
    Yesterday I successfully edited and built a 2.2.1 app using the new 3.0 SDK.

    So that's one data point. Your mileage, of course, may vary. :)
     
  4. kilobytedump macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #4
    Yes, but will apple approve an app developed for 2.2.1 with the 3.0 sdk?

    Thats the key thing here.
     
  5. RobertBlackburn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #5
    I cant see why they wouldnt its their sdk after all
     
  6. dejo Moderator

    dejo

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Centennial State
    #6
    Funny then that their 'Read me before downloading' section on the iPhone Dev Center site states: "iPhone SDK for iPhone OS 3.0 beta is for development use only. This new version should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iPhone OS 3.0 beta software development and cannot be used for submitting iPhone OS 2.2.1 applications."
     
  7. RobertBlackburn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #7
    How true. So we have to have 2 macs if we want to release apps for 2.2.1 and be one step ahead and start coding for 3?? Sounds a bit daft!
     
  8. rscott macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #8
    No, just install the 3.0 SDK somewhere else on your hard drive.
     
  9. firewood macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #9
    You can install both 3.0 and 2.2.x on one hard drive according to Apple dev support. There's a place in the installer to select a custom location. Just don't put the beta in /Developer

    And don't submit using a build from the 3.0 beta, unless you want your app rejected. They can probably tell.

    e
     
  10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #10
    But you would just target the 2.2.1 SDK.

    Unfortunately, Apple uses the word SDK to mean too many things. My point is that you can download the 3.0 developer tools (which includes the 3.0 SDK) and then still be able to target the 2.2.1 SDK.

    I just submitted a version update today built this way. And tested on several 2.2.x devices here internally. We'll see if Apple rejects it, but I can't imagine why.

    Now, if I tried to submit an app that actually targeted 3.0 on the device, then I can obviously see why they would reject that. But you don't need multiple installs to target multiples OS versions.
     
  11. CarlosH macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #11
    Keep us posted, lets hope you don't have any issues. For the time being, I will have two separate directories.
     
  12. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #12
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go for the two separate installations path to be on the safe side.

    Eddietr - let us know how it goes. Hopefully it won't matter either way.
     
  13. kilobytedump macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #13
    Eddietr, that of course makes perfect sense but at times there seems to be no rhyme or reason to these things.

    Lets us know what happens with the update.

    Ta.
     
  14. kevm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    Even if you are targeting 2.2.1 in the 3.0 SDK developer tools and building your app that way, you are still building your app with beta software.
     
  15. eddietr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #15
    yes, of course, that is true.
     

Share This Page