Simultaneously use iCloud email & me.com email on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I know this is possible to do. And I thought I knew how to set it up. But I'm getting an error. Nothing I've Googled has yielded relevant results for a solution.

So here's the dilemma.

On an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.3 and one iCloud email address is already set up on it and working. It is not one ending in icloud.com but rather an Apple ID from an existing (non-Apple) email address.

When I go to Settings > Add Account I have two options that are relevant.
    I can either add the email address as an iCloud account, which produces an error because the .me is associated (linked?) with the non-Apple email iCloud account.
    Or I can set it up as Other, which works for receiving but not sending.
    The error I get is:
    The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.mail.me.com" failed.

I followed the steps on this page exactly
    support.apple.com/kb/HT4864?viewlocale=en_US
    but nothing is mentioned of potential conflicts when using both an iCloud account and a me.com account (nonetheless one that is linked to said iCloud account) together on the same device. The article does not specify if it should be added as iCloud or Other, but Other seems to be the only way to do it - yet then "Cannot Send Mail".

I know the server settings have been modified many times as Apple's cloud services have replaced one another, and the Apple ID email schema is convoluted as well. But there must be others out there who have bumped up against such an issue and sorted it out?

Any ideas much appreciated!

2. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Before someone suggests it, I should add that I did also try saving the settings without the suffix "@me.com"

3. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Answer:

Host Name: smtp.me.com
    User Name: full email account, including "@me.com"

The problem? Apple's support article is apparently incorrect or outdated (they list the Server Name as "smtp.mail.me.com" which did not work).
    Arrrrgh. I want those two hours of my life back. But at least it's solved now.

(And yes, it has to be set up as Other if another iCloud email is being used already)