Simultanious downloads in iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DVDxR, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DVDxR macrumors regular

So we got simultanious downloads for apps and music in iOS 5. Did iOS 6 remove it? My old 4 (with iOS 6) and new 5 are back to downloading one thing at a time. I had a stuck music vid from an album purchase holding up all my app updates today. Kinda annoying. Am I just missing a setting somewhere? This is over cellular and WiFi.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I have a 4S running iOS 6 and, if I were to go to the App Store and select 'Update All,' all of the apps seem to download simultaneously.

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I thinks iOS downloads as fast as it can. So it doesn't matter if it does one really fast, or two at the same time but a bit slower. The download time is the same.

I do see my apps start installing while the next one is still downloading.

4. DVDxR thread starter macrumors regular

Yes and no. If I update all and one of the updates is a 1GB nab app, for example, under iOS 5, smaller apps would download and install while the big one was still downloading. Now the small apps would be held up waiting on the large app to finish before they begin. Overall it would take the same amount if time but with iOS 5 I would have access to the smaller apps faster. Or, like I had happen, if one download gets "stuck" for some reason every thing else sits there in the "waiting" state.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Does it matter as long as they are queued?

1 app at 10mbps vs. 2 apps at 5mbps each... Lock the phone and come back later.

6. DVDxR thread starter macrumors regular

If it didn't matter, do you think I would have gone to all the trouble to post a freaking thread about it?

A) I'm wondering if they pulled the feature that they just introduced last year, or if this is a glitch.

B) If it is a glitch, is it something everyone is experiencing or is it just me?

C) like I've said a couple of times, if one gets stuck, it blocks the others from downloading (I did lock the phone and come back later to see all my app updates "waiting" because some music video messed up downloading in the iTunes app)

D) If one app is huge, the rest take forever to download. It's annoying.

edit: also, your math is not always the reality. I rarely ever find a single download that can max out my internet connection at home (38Mb/s), usually due to some limitation on the other end. Simultaneous downloads can therefore download faster than downloading them FIFO. It doesn't matter if they are coming from the same source, many times the limitation applies per download. Akamai is a great example of this. This was one of the reasons I liked this feature when they introduced it in iOS 5.

7. sculpher macrumors newbie

sculpher

I have iOS 6.0.1 installed on my iPhone 4S and on my iPad 3 (New iPad). The iPad downloads simultaneously (ie download starts before the previous install has completed) - but not the iPhone (download and install must complete on one app before the next will even start to download). I'd be interested to hear an iPhone5 owner weigh in here (in case Apple have restricted it as a processor issue).