Since 13" didn't get redesigned, help me choose a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gator24765, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Hello, everyone. I currently have a 2009 Macbook Pro 15". I use it for normal computer stuff like Microsoft Office, Internet, iTunes etc.

I also use it to occasionally Video Edit on Final Cut and I occasionally use some CS4.

With that being said, what would be the best route for me to go? I am looking for a 13" Macbook Pro because after years of use with the 15" it is just a bit too big for my uses.

Should I get the new 13" Macbook Pro lower end $1199 model

a new 2011 model

or a refurbished 2011 model?

Either of these will be loads faster than my current C2D model.

Thanks for the help.

2. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

3. fresh-frank macrumors newbie

If I were you I would just get the new MacBook Pro that they just announced. It totally destroys everything out there. If you get the top of the line now you won't be left in the dust in the future and you will still be up to date for about 2 years. Good luck with your new purchase.

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

That would be ideal, just not in the budget.

5. Jb07 macrumors 6502

If you are on a tight budget I would go with a Refurb 2011. You can get higher specs for the same price and Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge is not a huge difference unless you are looking at Ultrabooks. If you like having the latest and greatest then go ahead and get the new one. You will be happy with either, trust me. :)

6. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

MacBook Air

It's a no-brainer. I never thought that I would buy a MacBook Air, but after playing with one at the Apple Store, I was blown away. It handled CS 5 well, it was very responsive. And dammit is it portable!
    I have edited some videos for an amateur sports team (2-minute promos at 720p) and I regularly work with photo files that range from 50MB to 800MB and the Air handles them in stride. Yes, at 800MB there is a delay when I apply effects, but I can't complain when I have 15+ pounds of gear and under 3 pounds of MacBook to add on top. 13" is the way to go. I got the i7, but I don't think it is necessary if you are working with smaller photo files, though I am not sure about your video editing needs.

7. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I would get the new 13" MBP for

Ivy Bridge (more power per watt cpu and doesn't run as hot) plus 50% gpu improvement in the HD4000 over the HD3000.

And you get USB3.

OR new MBA if that suits your needs.

8. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

thanks for the responses.

I have played around with the current models at the apple store but have never really tested them with video editing and cs4 etc..

With my current setup, at 2.54 c2d mbp, how does my current computer compare to the new MBA and the 13" MBP as far as speed etc.

A MBA would be nice and all, but i think storage will be a problem.