Since 3.1 is so bad, why doesnt Apple take it down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jableskg, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jableskg macrumors regular

So its clear that 3.1 is a major problem.. All you have to do is read the forums here or even on the Apple boards

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=201

Even CNET has a story about the frustrations we are experiencing, with possible solutions.. Bad publicity is starting show up everywhere.

My question is why does Apple still have the 3.1 update available for download on their site and iTunes? Wouldn't it be better to just take it down?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You're always going to hear more complaints than compliments -- it's because the few people who are having problems are going to be more vocal about it. I mean, think about it, how many people say: "Wow, 3.1 works great!" It doesn't happen: when it works, people just move on with their day. The only time you hear anything about an update is when a few people have a few problems.

Don't worry, 3.1 works great. I've had it installed since day one. And Apple won't be taking it down.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3.1 is working fine for a lot of people. I believe the 3.1 problems have something to do with certain setups.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If every single person who downloaded 3.1 had problems, maybe they would take it down. I have not had a single problem and in fact, my iPhone battery has been lasting about three days now since I upgraded. Much better than all the other updates.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Actually I was told by a rep today that 1/3 of all the customer service calls they have been receiving since 3.1 release has been 3.1 problems, and this was AppleCare in general, not specifically AppleCare for iPhone.

The issues seem to be isolated to 3G's not 3GS's.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont have any issues on my ipod with 3.1 either. You can't say its "bad"like the majority of people are having issues.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

yup

it is not clear to me that 3.1 has problems. it's doing everything it's supposed for me. people with problems are always more vocal then those with out! ;)

9. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

Mine works fine and i dont really have anything to complain about. Though i do like the new genius mixes great for lab work though i wish you could tweak them

10. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i guess its totally a 3G thing.. Either way there has got to be a way to revert back to 3.01 or older versions when these kinds of things happen. At least give us that option you know?

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

or Apple should at least allow people who have problems to downgrade

13. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

That would be nice had they not specifically released iTunes 9 the same day as iPhone OS 3.1 and made it so you can't go back to an older OS.

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

A lot of people, like me, have no problem with it. My battery lasts just as long. Plus the new Genius features are kind of useless for me since all I have are podcasts on it. And I have about 5 Apps I use regularly and none are games.

I guess it depends on your usage.

15. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Yeah, I am the polar opposite, 3.1 is working fantastic for me. I don't see a huge difference in battery life, (though I am using it a lot more so it SEEMS like I am getting less) but aside for some VISUAL flukes (My Tribute to the late great Spaz) I love it.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a 3G and I don't have any problems

18. iNoob3 macrumors member

I think it may be a 3G thing, because my girlfriend but it on her 3G and it shuts off 3-4 times a day and the battery life is now CRAP

19. MCHR macrumors regular

It's taking down all my stored data on the iPhone, and will not recover, so I don't know what combination of 3G / PowerMac is enabling 3.1 to work correctly, but mine isn't it.

I decided to do 3.1 after the volume was pegging at 100% for unknown reasons. What a flippin mistake.

20. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

My battery dies real quickly and takes much much longer to recharge.

I'm guessing something is running in the background to cause the fast battery drain. This even as a restore as new with no apps installed. Very frustrating

21. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I am experiencing slowdowns, 3G issues, battery life issues, and it Safari freezes on me now.

22. mrrory macrumors regular

mrrory

I feel the same way. I have a 2G, and I really noticed the whole phone reacting more quickly. I was pretty pleased with it.

23. njl macrumors regular

24. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

I feel the same way man, i havent had a problem and its all because of the settings i use for my phone. Everyones settings are different which is why everyone has their own usage numbers and no one can even come close to it. Besides that hows the ipod touch? I heard something floating around here that the new ipod touch has 3.1.1? I'm thinking of switching back to a blackberry and getting an ipod nano because of the camera feature as well as getting rid of the thing that runs my life. In a marketing sense, its understandable why they didnt give the ipod touch the camera it would hurt at&t and apples iphone sales.

</rant>

25. mb25667 macrumors member

3.1 has been great to me...no issues at all. Battery life has improved for me since 3.0.1.