HomePod Since buying your homepod anybody bought more?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by The Game 161, Apr 1, 2018.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

2. dagored macrumors 65816

That!

3. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

What possible reason could there be? They don't play stereo (yet? ever?)...

4. afir93 macrumors 6502a

You can theoretically already set one in each room and then control them individually, I think? But yeah without Stereo support and AirPlay 2, the main reason for having more than one HomePods just isn't there yet.

5. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Waiting, (and then wait some more to make sure stereo effect is pleasant, and multiroom control works properly).

6. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

2x here......even if it isn't stereo, two of them sound so much better than one IMHO.
    If you want "stereo" now, Airfoil can do that for you.

I'm set for when Apple comes out with Airplay 2 and stereo.

7. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Bought another for the dining room. Wish they'd bring out a mini-Homepod without speakers so that I can use Siri in the other rooms.

8. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

9. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

Waiting. I have come to believe that this was a ploy by Apple to stretch sales over two quarters by adding a feature later that will stimulate additional purchases. Probably my tinfoil hat talking.

10. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I would get a second one now but the wife would kill me ;)

11. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

I bought a second white one for the living room. Not quite upset that I can't link them up yet, but will definitely appreciate that update when it comes out.

12. Bdub12 macrumors regular

I bought two more. So Bedroom, Kitchen and living room. I'm adding a second one to the kitchen when stereo is available.

13. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

14. afir93 macrumors 6502a

I hope it stays this time and isn't removed again in a later beta. If it were to release with 11.4 in June, that would still give Apple 2 - 3 months to refine it; considering its inclusion in that 11.3 beta a while ago ran very well overall, I'm hopeful that Apple can finalize it until June.

If it's not 11.4 in June then we probably have to wait till iOS 12 in fall which would be a shame.

15. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

I'm in no rush. I'd rather they take their sweet time with releasing it in good shape instead of rushing it and delivering something sub-par

PS - I will most likely need to get a third one when stereo capability comes out so I can link the two in my bedroom to my Apple TV and still keep one in the living room - I have a soundbar setup there already so just one HP for casual music and home automation will be fine.

16. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

For those that have 2, have there been any issues with "Hey Siri"....

I suppose for a larger residence where the homepods are further apart this wouldn't be an issue, but I know it can pick up & respond to request from across the room. Just curious about how 2 home pods handle 1 "Hey Siri".....

17. ProphetX macrumors 6502

Ive purchased an additional 2. Will pick up a 4th after airplay 2 is available.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2018 ---
    The apple devices seem to default to the closest homepod.

Ive got 2 homepods plus phones and other apple devices with Siri activated all with in audible range of eachother

18. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I don’t have one yet, and am waiting on airplay 2 plus a few features I want that haven’t been announced before I do.

The feature I’m after is the option to control my Apple TV’s using HomePod, I know this can be done when airplaying to AirPod from the Apple TV but I already have a speaker system in my living room.

I would also like to be able to set it to play the latest news as a wake up alarm, which it also can’t do automatically right now.

19. Bdub12, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

Bdub12 macrumors regular

My living room/dining is right of my kitchen, so sometimes the HomePods get confused. It's not a big deal though.

20. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Issues, meaning if they are both close to each other? Not really. When you say "Hey Siri" they both light up, but only one takes over. Not sure how this would change if they are stereo paired. Mine are usually on separate floors so I don't use them together yet. The issue sometimes is when I have my phone, watch and iPad in the same room and I've noticed if I'm using a certain device it assumes I'm referring to 'that Siri' and the HomePod doesn't always take over unless i project out into the room when I speak. Most times however, all devices light up, but the HomePod seems like it's designed to always take over the prompt

21. WilliamG macrumors G3

How do you play both at the same time on the same song?

22. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

You can use either Airfoil or if listening to songs from iTunes you can select multiple outputs from Airplay.

23. WilliamG macrumors G3

Cheers!

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with one, and so far how I have things organized my home, I don't see a need for a second one.

25. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Bought my first a month ago, a second the next day and a third the day the first
    update dropped.

AirFoil stereo in the garage and one in the race car room. Two more for up stairs
    next month and I'll be done until AirPlay2 drops.