Since facetime uses wifi....can we make face time calls without cell signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hefeglass, Jun 19, 2010.

1. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

That would be great....I could use it on flights across the states!

2. dmize31287 macrumors regular

I think in the video it said 3g + wifi. Not 100% sure though. Would be nice for just wifi :)

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

4. twitchtwice macrumors member

sweet it was wondering the same thing. so it does or doesnt use minutes?

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I thought was voice used over 3G and video over wifi?

6. California King macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if developers are allowed to stream video (i.e. Skype video calls via wifi)?

7. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Good question. Supposedly all of the data (video AND audio) goes over wifi, so there is a good chance it will be possible, but I don't think we will know for sure until someone with an actual iPhone 4 checks it out.

8. California King macrumors 65816

Can't developers know if they can or not by looking at the SDK?

9. fru macrumors member

So game apps in which you play an opponent on the other side of the world and see their face in a little box in the corner is a very real possibility.

Sweet.

10. yrrej macrumors regular

in the demo shown it looks like FaceTime is initialized when you're actually on the phone with the person already. i would assume making the initial call would require some sort of celluar signal.

11. haajkoe macrumors newbie

And why exactly would Apple allow that to happen?

They have a contract with at&t, you could imagine them not being so happy.

Same thing happened with push-to-talk, carriers were not happy people could avoid charges, so in the end almost no carrier allowed it.

My guess is facetime will never be 'free', you will always need a cellphone signal. The front camera might even not be usable with skype, cause whats the point in using facetime over the phone while it can be used for free using skype??

Luckily there is cydia ;)

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Can't see why. Apples site seems to indicate on reading that it can be iniated straight from contacts list, and as it's going over wifi only for now, carriers are not involved in any way, excepting that it can be initiated whilst on a phone call.

13. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

might be able to use 3G unrestrictor for facetime so you can use it on 3G..

14. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Might, assuming it gets jailbroken. But that wouldn't factor into carrier consideration really, as it's not normal use of device.

15. Downey92 macrumors member

The way I saw it was you would call someone normally then when it detected you were both on iPhone 4 and on Wi-fi/3G the option to make it a video call would become available.

Then you also have a list of contacts that are available to make a video call to, and you just tap their name and it would go straight to a video call over Wi-fi, perhaps bypassing having to make a call but I think the first method would require a signal because you're calling them normally first and the second way wouldn't.

16. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The answer is definetely NO since you just call someone. And when you call someone, you can turn on FaceTime (which goes over WiFi).

17. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I had wondered this as well. Look at the link above to the Apple site that dicusses Facetime. It states that you can initiate a video call directly from contacts as well. It will be awesome if there iis some sort of indicator (blue dot) next to those contacts who are currently on wifi.

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You're definitely wrong as you don't have to call someone first...

19. frosse macrumors 6502a

Sorry bro, you're wrong. Either you call someone and switch over to Facetime OR (wtf?!) you select a contact and press the FaceTime button located next to the SMS button. Don't have a picture but that's the way it is.

20. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

One-tap simple.
    FaceTime works right out of the box — no need to set up a special account or screen name. And using FaceTime is as easy as it gets. Let’s say you want to start a video call with your best friend. Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or maybe you’re already on a voice call with her and you want to switch to video. Just tap the FaceTime button on the Phone screen. Either way, an invitation pops up on her iPhone 4 screen asking if she wants to join you. When she accepts, the video call begins. It’s all perfectly seamless. And it works in both portrait and landscape modes.

21. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

If the audio went over the cell provider and the video over WiFi (broadband provider), you'd never be able to keep the audio & video anywhere near in synch with one another. I have to believe that once you kick in Facetime that everything is going over WiFi.