Since I just bought an iPhone 3GS... what does that mean for next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 30, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just bought an iPhone 3GS at the early upgrade price of $499 (Don't judge me ;)). I didn't have a full upgrade until February 2010, but by then, if I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS, I'd have to wait until February 2011 to upgrade again right? So by buying the iPhone 3GS now, I'll probably be eligible for the next generation iPhone at this time of year next year right?

By the way... now I have:

iPod touch (first gen 16GB)
    iPhone (8GB)
    iPhone 3G (white 16GB)
    iPhone 3GS (black 32GB)

... it's like a disease.

So am I correct in thinking that I'll get the subsidized price next year in June?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I would assume you'd get the same deal you got this year. Not fully subsidizes, but not full retail either.

3. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Why are you holding onto all those old iPhones/iPods? Sell them!! I got $400 on eBay for my 3G alone. Then next year, you can sell your 3GS and pay for your next early upgrade. :cool:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you'll need to wait 18 months to 2 years, unless they reduce the time like they did this year. Whatever happens, you won't get the new version in June unless you pay the unsubsidized price.

5. christyn macrumors 6502a

You won't be eligible for a full sub'ed phone next year either. The early upgrade price still signs you to a contract again thus not making you eligible this time next year.

You would have had to purchase the phone at the retail price $699 I believe? to be eligible for a full sub price next year.

6. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

Check your Wireless Account, duh. Your new upgrade date should be there already.

I look forward to not having any problems next year and am so happy with my 3GS:

"You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 06/20/2010"

(Edit: And I've had the 2G 8GB, 3G 16GB White, and now 32GB 3GS White. All release date purchased, only full price on the 2G of course.)

7. Que macrumors 6502

i don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of who gets a new phone next time and who doesn't. people who are staying with the 3g now are taking great delight in saying that 3gs owners won't be able to get next year's iphone. ummm, i will if i want it. this is how it will happen.....

go to apple store, say "hello can i have the new iphone please?" they say yes and i hand over my debit card.

simple.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You can offset some of the financial pain by selling your old iphone for
    a couple hundred. But you will be paying the awfully high non subsidized price
    until you wait until eligibility for the low price.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You could get therapy and/or someone to hit you over the head.

Why you WASTE such money on a new device every bloody year is beyond me. I love gadgets as well, but I waited about 10 months to get the first iPhone (at $250 for a refurb, not the original $600). I skipped over the 3G entirely because I had just bought the first iPhone and didn't see it being worth the $300 for an 8GB storage, 3G and GPS upgrade. I waited until the 3GS came out and snapped it up. Now I'll use it pretty much until there is a compelling reason for a new one.

If you aren't using those devices (the non-3GS devices), you should really sell them. If you're holding on to them for nostalgia, you're really going to feel stupid in about a decade when you can find them on eBay for a shiny nickel and you could've had a few hundred bucks each by selling them now.

10. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

You're such a hypocrite. Not a week ago you were saying "I'll NEVER get a 3GS" And look what you're doing...got anything else to complain about?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its called apple-lust and there's no cure ;)

I have to say though I'm going to probably hold off on an iPhone purchase next year. While I got a good amount from the sale of my 3G which mitigated the staggering price of the 3GS, Its still a lot of money, and to be honest, I don't want to reset the 2 year contact again.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't wanna sell any of my iDevices because they're all mine and I kind of like having the different models.

I thought people who bought their iPhone 3G last year at this time were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS this year at the subsidized price. Who's to say AT&T won't do that again next year? :confused:

13. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Spend $99 or more a month, and you'll be able to upgrade. This was like that before the iPhone.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My monthly bill is about $100/mo.

So in that case... everyone who was previously making fun of me is wrong right?

Sweet, next year, I'll probably buy the iPhone at a subsidized price! By then, the iPhone will be uni-body aluminum with a special Apple designed antenna that easily passes a signal through metal. Nice.

15. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I bought my 3G on launch at the early upgrade price, not the full subsidized price. That forced me to a new 2 yr contract and made me eligible for an upgrade in March 2010. According to that, you would eligible early 2011.

16. abavetta macrumors newbie

17. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Spaz, you don't even want/need an iPhone anymore. Don't worry about the prices next year. Return the 3GS and get a hobby.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I guess next year now you'll just post another breakdown thread. Then make a thread about returning the 2010 iPhone. Then return it.

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Please get a hobby.

21. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Dear Arn and Mac Rumors staff,

I nominate TheSpaz for the first ever daily columnist position for MR. I love waiting to see which direction he goes each day!

Could you imagine waiting on him in a restaurant? The cooks would not like him because of all the food he would send back.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems reasonable, but things could change between now and then.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Forget that, can you imagine what it is like to work in the Apple store that he goes to. Man, they must cringe every time he walks in the door. I bet they argue in the backroom about who has to try and help him.:eek:

24. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

The $99/mo per line is also BEFORE any FAN discounts as well as taxes.

I've been paying for the past 12 months (3G on launch day):

$105 ($60 voice, $30 data and $15 text)
    - $17/month in FAN discounts
    +$7/month in taxes, etc
    --------------------------
    $95/month

When I called and asked why I'm not eligible for an upgrade at 12 months (18 months for me), the CSR was very helpful and did some research. He actually put me on hold several times and had some supervisors looking into it to see if something was wrong since I've been paying $105/mo x 12 months. One of the supervisors suspected it was my FAN discount but said he couldn't find any documentation on it. After more research he confirmed that his suspicion was correct and that I need to spend $99/month after discounts (before taxes) to be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months.

$17/month x 12 months = a $204 savings. So it's as if I've already received an upgrade subsidy anyway if you look at it that way.

As it stands now, I'm eligible for an upgrade in December. I'll probably skip the 3GS and wait until June/July 2010 and get whatever the next model is.

However, 3 months before the NEXT iPhone comes out (Summer 2011 if Apple keeps the same cycle), I will add features to my account to push the bill over $99/mo since they look at a 3 month history to determine who is eligible for an upgrade after 12 months :)