Since I Purchased the Apps, Can I....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Downgrade to 1.1.2 and jailbreak to download the iPhone apps? Would it then be legal to have them on my iPod since I paid for them in 1.1.3? The reason I ask is, I am considering undoing my 1.1.3 install because of the skipping problem I'm having while watching videos and I also miss the reflective Dock.

As a side note, does anyone else think it looks strange when the icons FLY away now when you LAUNCH apps? I always have Calculator and Clock flying towards the bottom corners and it looks sloppy and distracting while I wait for the window to fully zoom in.

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I dont understand.
    You want to pay for iPhone apps, then downgrade, then jailbreak, attain the iPhone apps illegally?

Im willing to bet it is illegal, but morally, I see your point.
    You paid for them, youre just attaining them through a different source.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The deal is: I hate it when the video stutters and it never used to do that in previous firmwares. They obviously made changes to the VideoPlayer app to support iTunes rentals and while they were making changes, they might have screwed something up slightly so if I can't get video to play smoothly on 1.1.3, what's the point in having 1.1.3?

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I understand now.
    I can pretty much guarantee the act of pirating the iPhone apps is illegal, but I think you could do it, as you would be one of the few who still payed.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Honestly, what choice do I have? I want the iPhone apps but, I don't want my video to skip and since Apple probably won't fix that until a future update, I need something NOW so that I can watch video on my TV without getting all pissed off while it stutters randomly.

The truth is. I really do wanna do things the legal way but, how is it fair to me that there's a bug in 1.1.3 that prevents me from fully enjoying my iPod the way it was meant to be enjoyed (without jailbreaking) but, I still want the apps.

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Yeah.
    If Apple somehow caught you, they would most likely understand.
    As their firmware update is buggy, they are not allowing or the full experience.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's what I'm saying... if Apple caught me, what would they say? YOU STOLE THOSE APPS THAT YOU BOUGHT! Does it matter that I bought a different version of the apps? Also, by downgrading, I will no longer have Lyrics, Movable Home Icons, Crappy iPhone Dock (yay!) and webclips.... but, now I'm asking myself how important Lyrics are or Webclips... can I live without those in order to have smoother playing video... I'm kinda stuck in a bind... I don't know what to do!

8. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

The way I see it, its either jailbreak and lose a few feature AND the buggy video playback, or stick with the update, gaining crappy video playback and a few cool features.

I say do it.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What if I downgrade to 1.1.2, apply the iPhone Dock and change my SystemVersion.plist to read 1.1.3 and hide installer.app and all other third party apps? Then it would APPEAR that I have 1.1.3 when really I'll have a jailbroken 1.1.2 that LOOKS like 1.1.3.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm. IANAL, but you're legally allowed to make a backup of software (in the US) and there's not really any restriction that I know of indicating how you make that copy, so downloading it legitimate... the person offering it for download would be committing a crime of unauthorized distribution, but you're just making a copy of something you've paid for, for your personal use so I'd say you're both morally and legally in the clear.

Same would go for anyone who bought a touch after the 15th... you have a license to use those applications with your touch, so if you'd like to use them in another way that doesn't involve sharing them with other people or using them on devices not licensed for their use, you should be good.