Since iOS 7 is Retina only...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cclloyd, Jun 17, 2013.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Doesn't that mean that they have to come out with a retina iPad Mini?

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

No.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, it still runs on the non-retina iPad 2 and iPad Mini 1.

4. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

It's not retina-only because both iPad 2 & iPad mini are supported for iOS 7. So, making a retina iPad mini won't change the fact that those two non-retina devices are supported.

5. cualexander macrumors 6502a

A lot of people don't realize that in order to make a retina ipad mini, you need some awesome battery technology or awesome display technology. The retina iPads have monster batteries and the iPad mini wouldn't be mini anymore if they had released it as a retina device. Go ahead, find a tablet that has a resolution of 2048x1536 that also is the size of iPad mini. You can't.

6. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

"Retina" on an iPhone 4/4S means 640×960. The iPad 2 and iPad Mini are both slightly higher resolution at 1024x768, so resolution at least won't be an issue for those devices.

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

You information is not valid. It is not 'retina only'. The iPad 2 and iPad mini 1st generation support it.

8. YeahBuddy macrumors regular

One more response couldn't hurt.

No.

Alright, we're all set here.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

So will they have to come out with a retina iPad Mini then?

10. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

The tablet doesn't have to have that high resolution it just has to have the right ppi for it's screen size to qualify as retina, btw it they couldn't do it on the iPad mini then how did you think they did it on the iPhone?

11. Beam.. macrumors newbie

Not retina only, retina ready

12. TC03 macrumors 65816

Good thinking.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The iPhone retina display is a lower resolution than the iPad Mini non-retina display so it's a pretty pointless comparison.

If they don't double up the pixels in both dimensions to make the iPad mini display retina, not only would it mean introducing a separate resolution just for the iPad Mini, existing applications would look bad

14. robertosh macrumors 6502

robertosh

it's not so difficult, just merge two iPhone5 screens and you get a 2272x1280 resolution, near the retina and 8", so perfect for the mini size.

I think that the main reason to not launch initially the mini with retina was its cost, and not a technology problem.

Battery? With the first retina ipad, they doubled the size of the ipad 2 battery in the same enclosure. If they had put half the ipad 3 battery in the mini, then it would have a 21Whr one, bigger than the current (16whr). And i think that there is more room for more than half.

I'm convinced that we will see a retina mini in september. With thinner fonts, IOS7 will look much better in retina screens and worse than iOS6 in non retina ones.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I think you mean, FOUR iPhone 5 screens.

There is significant cost associated with that.

Even though due the longer viewing distance, you don't need displays that dense. Still, significant cost, and battery requirements to push back-lighting through.

16. dekadent macrumors member

dekadent

iPhone 5 resolution is 1136-by-640. That times two is 2272-by-1280.

Two iPhones.

17. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Lol, someone doesn't understand basic maths. You've double both dimensions, so it's four times bigger.

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

1136 x 640 = 727040 pixels.

2272 x 1280 = 2908160 pixels.

2908160 / 727040 = 4.

19. dekadent macrumors member

dekadent

*looks at half empty winebottle*

Indeed. Right you are sir, I stand corrected. Perhaps I should just focus on the wine instead...

20. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Sorry for being a bit of a jerk :)

21. SuperPolli macrumors regular

It's Not Retina Only?

You clearly have been misinformed... iOS 7 is not retina only. It will run on iPad 2 and iPad mini. Yes Apple may come out with a retina iPad mini, but only because that is the logical next step for them.

Sorry for being obnoxious, but really?!

22. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Could you tell me how applications designed for a higher res display (iPad 3/4) would look bad? That is the same as me taking a picture taken with my Nikon D7000, viewing it on an iPhone and saying it looks bad because the iPhone can't display the full resolution of the photo. No it won't look bad it will just be a little lower res than the iPad 3/4 which no one will notice of course because it is on a tinier screen, that cannot display the full resolution of the app. As long as the iPad mini has the same dimensions of the iPad (Which it does) it will work.

23. Phil A., Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Because iOS isn't resolution independent - if you make the screen 75% of the resolution then all the elements would have to be 75% of the size. So, something that is 10 pixels wide on the iPad 4 retina display would now be 7.5 pixels wide (which it can't be), which means you'd have to make it 8 or 7, neither of which is an accurate representation of the original.

The reason Apple doubled the resolution when going to resolution was to avoid this problem in the opposite direction as you can represent an "old" pixel from a non retina display with a block of 4 pixels on the retina

To illustrate this, I've taken a screenshot of this message and then resized it to 75% of the original: it looks terrible!

Attached Files:

24. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Sorry for posting earlier, I didn't think about it then, I just posted. It makes perfect sense what your saying. However I still think Apple will release and iPad mini with retina display because that is what they are doing with all their other devices.