Since it will be 15mo since a new release does this mean redesign? Or minor issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Will there be a bigger screen and redesign since it has been such a long cycle? Or does it not guarantee it and it means that it could be anything else creating the three month delay? Is there still a chance that it will not be a major redesign and just a spec bump? Or do we have compelling reason to believe it will be a likely redesign? Maybe slimmer? Larger screen?

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It took longer this time because Apple decided to keep WWDC 2011 solely for software, which is its original intention.

They have a media event around September, which is when they release the new iPods. The iPhone will be included this time.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think they waited because they needed more time to get the phone hardware right. The i4 was in development since before the 3GS, and it still had supposed attena issues. The i4 also has been a commercial success even as recently as spring/summer, so they have no reason to push it out the door early if the i4 is selling like hotcakes. That said, I think we will see a new physical design.

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I read some articles as to why no new iPhone until September versus June... I thought these were quite interesting (and possible). Of course we'll never know until the new one comes out.

1. It could simply be to put space between the release Verizon iPhone (February) and a new iPhone. (If indeed they wanted to get out an iPhone on Verizon as soon as possible.)

2. Something happened while developing for the next iPhone that caused the delay (overheating of the CPU, perhaps. Needing to fix the antenna issue? Waiting until the competitors reveal their goodies? iOS 5 wasn't ready for prime-time in June; something that is clear, now.)

3. iPods are on the decline, it's possible that they think that September event is no-longer relevant as iPod headlining. Merging the two (iPod & iPhone announcements) is possibly the recipe for a media spectacle.

4. (Most interestingly) To change the release cycle from 1 phone per year, to 2 phones per year (to keep up with competition).

Of course, it could be a combination of some or all of the above. But who knows? Well, other than top-level management at Apple.

As for: does the delay mean major design change? Well the iPhone took 2 years for a major change in design (iPhone 4)... I doubt we'll see something drastically different in one year.

I don't see a problem in changing the size of the screen by .5" or 1" (I'm not a developer), as long as the aspect ratio remains the same, things would be fine, no?

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

while we are all guessing why apple delayed the launch.

I believe they want to keep selling there golden eggs at different time intervals, because the biggest competition to apple is apple.

So releasing products too close together hurts them.

As for a redesign, I highly doubt it, the iphone was only just recently redesigned. Perhaps the inside will be redesigned because of the antenna media frenzy, but that should be about it.

6. anng12 macrumors member

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I say maybe for a new redesign. They might go back to the bezel and give it a more rounder look and shape around the corner. Better feeling in the hand.

I don't expect Apple to wow us every single year and the iPhone 4 was the first real redesign. The 2G vs 3G just had a different back and they used the same 3G design for the 3GS. What I am curious about is what materials will they use this time? All glass back again? You can only do so much with a slate design that it starts to look the same with everyone else after awhile. They may add a bigger screen to catch up to Android and it might be taller or have the screen close to the edge, but that could be it.

iPhone 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone 9, iPhone X, etc.

You really can't expect Apple to wow us with a new design every year especially when most of the structure we look at happens to be a screen.