Since no new iMac coming, want to send 2011 model to OWC...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sam Spade, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Wow, like most in this forum, I am really disappointed today. I've been using the 2006 white iMac for many years now and have been holding off purchasing the 2011 model for over a year in hopes that a redesign would be introduced by WWDC 2012. :(

So, since that's not happening, and I have to make a purchase NOW, what are your thoughts on buying a 2011 27" model and drop shipping it to OWC for SSD/RAM upgrade? I want to put the largest SSD in it I can get without getting into absurd pricing, so, according to OWC's site, it looks like that would be the 480GB drive. Are their "EXTREME" drives worth the additional cost?

Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Is the keynote over already?

3. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

No but they just moved to software (Mountain Lion) after announcing new MBA MBP and Retina MBP

4. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Hardware announcements were at the beginning, unless there's a 'one more thing' that looks like that's all there will be.

Maybe there will be a hardware bump in the store but maybe that's just me being hopeful.

5. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

Yup, here's hoping for a silent update

6. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Or we could see them ship with Mountain Lion this summer.

7. dmorgan macrumors member

There had better be one. If the new hardware is available in the new laptops, why keep the iMacs outdated?

8. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

9. IamMarcoPolo macrumors member

NO OFFENSE but apple needs to just release them tbh, people are sick of cat and mouse games now

10. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

me too...that retina kepler macbook pro..is boring,and stupid.

11. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

People like us, tech savvy people are waiting. Most 'regular' people don't pay attention to things like this.

12. IamMarcoPolo macrumors member

still were the sort of people that ''will BUY when we walk into an apple shop'' - a 'normal person as you say' will walk into a apple shop and ''MAYBE' buy what looks nice - apple are peeing off the ''will BUY crowd''

They need to up their game

13. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone please address the questions in the OP?

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Sorry, we're too busy challenging your assertions. For example, it's still very possible that after the keynote there will be a press release with iMac and Mac Pro updates.

15. New Apple macrumors regular

maybe no new redesign, but specs bump i think it's 99% sure (ivy bridge/usb3/something else)

16. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

There is definitely going to be a new Mac Pro, so I don't think all hope for a new i-mac is lost...yet.

17. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

dont buy the current, dont let apple get your money on this... :( what a disaster. It´s always about the macbooks...I mean its years since they made something huge out of the desktop computers....from what I remember only groundbraking update to desktops was the late 2009 update to the imac. res has only been speedbumps.

18. Mr USneun macrumors newbie

No!
    They showed a photo with the new MacBook and the iPad and the normal iMac.
    I like the design and bringing retina to it is ********. Look at the price for the new MBP.

So USB3, maybe SSD, new hardware.

19. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

That's fine if people want to continue to wait, but I'm no longer interested. I need to make a purchase now and move on with life.

20. Mr USneun macrumors newbie

maybe get the new mbp??

21. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

If you waited more than a year what's one more month to wait when Mountain Lion ships? If there isn't an update today it's highly likely to come with ML.

22. Mr USneun macrumors newbie

that's when i bought my imac last year. came updated with lion.

23. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

A press release after the keynote..cmon...there will be pressure from thr press
    to try to undertstand what the hell are they doing..but without any answers given out..because they're Apple...people wait for them..well i won't...
    instead of a imac press release..i hope in a silent ..not sad..silent update for tomorrow,,,if they put kepler in Imac as well...,we were hoping for 680 or 7970..
    the max we saw today is..? a kepler 650..this is ****!

24. harcosparky macrumors 68020

So my 2011 27" iMac has a longer life expectancy now, since no replacement has been named? :D

25. ecstacy2012, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

ecstacy2012 macrumors member

hey sam

hey sam I'll pm you i have a custom built 2011 with dual ssd's in raid for over 1GB internal write speed it's documented here on the forum and maxed out 1600hz 16GB ram I'm getting rid of. with the 3.4ghz bump and 2gb video card